Wednesday, 12 August 2026

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 12th August 2026.

12th August, 2026.



OK: I’m going to have to double check things, before I make introductory videos.

Yes: I’m off to the dentists, today.

But, no: that’s not when the eclipse is.

My appointment’s two.

And the eclipse starts around 18·20.

Ho … … …  hum!

~≈☾≈~

I had a newspiece float across my time line, a day or two ago.

This one.

It’s a piece that tells us how an unnamed user had bought a copy of the extended version of the Lord of the Rings movies.

Then found they’d been removed from their media library: as “no longer available in our catalog.”

Google refused to refund the customers money.

I know that removing digital media from a user’s media library is perfectly when a company can no longer supply it to us, is legal.

That doesn’t make it right.

We buy these things in the belief we’re buying these things permanently: when, sadly, it’s not.

~≈🛒≈~

Personally?

I think a media supplier withdrawing a service like that is immoral.

And a very good argument for buying versions of whatever on physical media.

And — possibly — for outright video piracy.

So?

I’m going to suggest a method.

Download and install Tor Browser: it let’s you access the Dark Web.

Download and install a BitTorrent client: I’m told Transmission is popular.

Once those are done, visit a torrent tracking site — I’m told Pirate Bay, KAT, 1337 and TorrentGalaxy are good — with TorBrowser.

Pick a torrent … 


Copy and paste the magnet link into your chosen Torrent client.

Wait for it to finish: and enjoy the results.

~≈🏴‍☠️≈~

As a final thought, there?

I’m not going to encourage you to illegally download copyrighted content like that.

Doing so is a civil offence in most countries, and can lead to both arrest and fines: and the downloading of spiked content what can damage you computer, or leave you exposed to malware or identity theft*.

Be aware of the risks.

However risky?

In removing media we thought we owned permanently?

And refusing a refund when doing so?

Companies are encouraging us to not give them our cash: especially given there’s other ways of buying … 

~≈🏴‍☠️≈~

Let’s move on.

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Debbi scoring ten out of ten, and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        12th August, 2021, saw a mass shooting. In which English city: Plymouth, Portsmouth or Bristol?

Q2)        According to the UN, 12th August is what: International Youth Day, World Elephant Day or the Day of the Tin Vagabond?

Q3)        In the UK, 12th August is the Glorious Twelve. It marks the start of what: the grouse hunting season, cheese rolling week or Holy Week?

Q4)        12th August, 1969, saw the Royal Ulster Constabulary use what for the first time: rubber bullets, tear gas or plastic truncheons?

Q5)        Finally … ? Guitarist, Les Paul, died on 12th August, 2009. The electric guitar that bears his name, is made by whom: Fender, Gibson or Martin?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        11th August is World Steelpan Day.   According to whom: the UN, EU or CC?
A1)        The UN, or United Nations.

Q2)        The instrument is also known as a what: steel drum, steel plate or steel saucer?
A2)        Steel drum.

Q3)        They’re traditionally played with sticks tipped with what: steel, rubber or wood?
A3)        Rubber.

Q4)        Pans are usually made from what: oil drums, tree-trunks or car doors?
A4)        Oil Drums.

Q5)        The people that play steel pans are known as whats: pannists, steelers or drummists?
A5)        Pannists.

Q6)        If you’re using a strobe tuner, you’re doing what to a steel pan?
A6)        Tuning it.   (Most steel pan bands will have their drums re-tuned, once or twice a year.)

Q7)        The world’s largest steel-pan contest has been held in the instruments country of origin.   What’s the competition called: Panorama, Panopticon or Panettone?
A7)        Panorama.

Q8)        The world’s largest steel pan contest has been held in the instruments country of origin.   What is that country: Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago or Cuba?
A8)        Trinidad and Tobago.

Q9)        The instrument’s on that country’s what: flag, coat of arms or naval ensign?
A9)        Coat of arms.

Q10)        Finally … ?   The earliest steel pans are said to have been invented by Winston ‘Spree’ Simon.   The earliest were called what: the ping pong, ting tong or whiff whaff?
A10)        The ping pong.
Here’s a thought …
“I always liked wearing Hawaiian shirts …”.
John Nathan-Turner, 12 August 1947 – 1 May 2002.
And a Kid Creole song …


The next 10 question sets are on 26th August, and 5th, 7th and 11th September: they’re about International Dog Day, the Muppet Show, Boston and the Nine-Eleven attacks.

There’s a twelve question set on 8th September: about Star Trek.

Your comments, and today’s answers, will be published in tomorrow’s Teaser.

AI is avoided when writing these questions.

Answers are as accurate as possible: at the time of writing.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        If this is something you choose to do: scan everything you download for malicious software.

        Hello, Mum!   (It’s Pannists, tuning, Panorama and Ping Pong, Mum, rather than steelers, note checking, Panopartition and Tingtong!   What IS panopartition?????)

        Apparently, Debbi, my most recent order is due, today.   I bet they leave it on the street, again … !

1 comment:

Olga said...

Hi, Paul.
I hope the visit to the dentist goes well. You're right about the eclipse and many people getting ready and reorganising schedules for it. (Here it won't be visible, only 99% or so) until 20:30 or thereabouts. I hope everything is good with you and your familly. I can't seem to get organised these days, and with the heat, not sleeping well, and my mother's friend who is away, so I don't have any alone time as such, well... It's exhausting.
I've had dentist issues myself, ongoing. One of my molars broke, and then I had to have my two wisdom teeth on the left side removed. Not pleasant. I'm also having a teeth guard done, as it seems I grind my teeth at nigth (I've been told that before, but finally it seems I'm getting something done about it). And I had a deep clean, and they discovered a cavity well hidden on the side of one of my tooth, so I'll have to have that treated.
And then, my mother had a minor procedure done as well (dermatology related), and we're trying to survive the heat as well. The festa major starts locally next week (on Saturday). I'm not sure what I will do to help, yet, because I can't be there all day. I hope I'll be able to do something, though.
Take care, dear Paul, keep cool, and stay safe. Give my best to Debbi and your family.