8th August, 2026.
Ddi I mention I’ve ordered a few things from Amazon? On Friday, just gone?
I ordered a few things from Amazon, on Friday, just gone.
So you know.
Including a couple of multipack boxes of Diet Coke.
You’d think I’d’ve learnt, by now, wouldn’t you?
The packs — along side a graphic novel, and a few other bits — were due, yesterday.
I got one box, and the graphic novel, at 14:25, going by the clock on my computer.
I also got an apologetic update from Amazon’s automated systems: to tell me they’d tried delivering the rest of the goodies, yesterday.
At 14:24!
But couldn’t, for unspecified “technical reasons”.
As you can imagine, I sent an annoyed email to Jeff Bezos.
They’ve now given me a refund on the undelivered box of colas: and a list of reasons why the thing couldn’t be delivered.
Although that seems to be as a matter of course, rather than any action I’ve taken.
They have also given me a list of reason why somethings hasn’t been delivered.
The one possible reason that leapt out at me … ?
Was the one that says “The package was damaged in transit.”
Right now?
I’m convinced that the delivery driver dropped the second box, the one with a box of Diet Cokes, some Marmite, and an air duster, damaged them in the process, and had to take them back to the warehouse as a result.
I don’t know, though.
I do know this.
I’ve got a refund for the colas due.
But — as of the time of writing — don’t know when the rest of the goods will turn in up.
Which got me sending another annoyed email.
As you can imagine … ?
I’m having a bad weekend … !
Let’s move on.
Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.
Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?
Q1) Amedeo Avogadro was born on 9th August, 1776. The scientific law named for him, says that equal volumes of gas under the same conditions will contain an equal number of what: atoms, molecules or protons?Q2) Mary Poppins author, P. L. Travers, was born on 9th August of which year: 1897, 1898 or 1899?Q3) Actor, Robert Shaw, was born on 9th August, 1927. He played Red Grant: in which James Bond film?Q4) Tove Jansson was born on 9th August, 1914. The Moomins author was born in which city: Stockholm, Oslo or Helsinki?Q5) Finally … ? 9th August is the feast day of Herman of Alaska. He’s a saint to which church: the Roman Catholic Church, the Church of the Tin Vagabond or the Orthodox Church in America?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) Wilbur Wright made the Wright Brothers’ first public flight: on 8th August, 1908. At a race course, where: Le Mans, Liverpool or London?A1) Le Mans.Q2) The 2008 Summer Olympics started on 8th August, 2008. It was held in which Chinese city?A2) Beijing.Q3) Saint Dominic was born on 8th August, AD1170. He’s a patron saint of whom: astronomers, biochemists or cypher clerks?Q4) The only man to resign from the office of US president, announced he would do so on 8th August, 1974. Which president was it?Q5) Finally … ? The STS-28 mission launched on 8th August, 1989: on a classified mission for the US military. The mission was launched on which of NASA’s space shuttles?
Here’s a thought …
“A writer is, after all, only half his book. The other half is the reader and from the reader the writer learns.”P. L. Travers, 9 August 1899 – 23 April 1996.
And a Mighty Hannibal song …
The next 10 question sets are on 11th August, 26th August, the 5th, 7th and 11th September: they’re about World Steel Pan Day, International Dog Day, the Muppet Show, Boston and the Nine-Eleven attacks.
There’s a twelve question set on 8th September: about Star Trek.
Your comments, and today’s answers, will be published in tomorrow’s Teaser.
AI is avoided when writing these questions.
Answers are as accurate as possible: at the time of writing.
Decisions about scores are final.
Thank you for coming: have a good day.
* Hello, Mum! (5/5. yesterday: well done!)
† Well … he’s a comedian, Debbi: called Jonathan Harvey, if I recall. From what I can gather, he’s a bit like Screaming Lord Sutch, the original Raving Looney leader: Sutch publicised his band’s tours by standing as a comedy candidate. And he campaigned to lower the voting age in the UK. I don’t think Binface is quite as serious.
As for the 47th President? I’ve got a 10-question, Nine-Eleven, set coming up on 11th September: as it’s the 25th anniversary of the attacks. And I’ve tried to be as respectful as possible.
What concerns me? Is that the 47th President won’t be. Going by what I’ve seen of the man, he’ll make a dogs’ dinner of any speech he gives at the memorial.


No comments:
Post a Comment