Sunday, 16 February 2014

The Daily Teaser — 16-2-2014: BBS

Ooh, that sound’s exciting … !

Bless her, my sister, Ruth, has decided to take her son, Jude, to see a movie.

In a cinema.

In Basildon, wouldn’t you know: there’s possibly a sarcastic comment that I can aim at Brentwood Council, there.   After all, I grew up in a Brentwood with a cinema, I don’t see why my three year old nephew shouldn’t.

At ANY rate … Ruth’s decided Jude really needs to go and see Turbo with his uncle.

Which looks like it could be fun … !

At any rate … ?   Let’s get a move on.


~≈†≈~

Yesterday’s teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with telling us a cocoa would go down VERY well, she also scored five out of five.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) The world’s first computerized BBS opened: on 16th February, 1978.   In which US city … ?
Q2) In which US state is that city … ?
Q3) What does BBS stand for … ?
Q4) The first BBS to be set up in the UK was called Forum … what: 80, 90 or 1000?
Q5) Finally … the BBS system’s creators made the software: whilst snowed in during the Great what of 1978 … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 
Q1) 15th February, 1971, saw Britain decimalize its currency.   In pre-decimal currency, 2 shillings and sixpence was also known as half a … what … ?
A1) Crown.
Q2) 15th February, 1946, saw the world’s first general purpose computer dedicated: in Philadelphia.   What was it called?
A2) ENIAC: which was short for Electronic Numerical Integrator And Computer, so you know.
Q3) 15th February, 2001, saw Nature magazine publish the first complete draft of the human what … ?
A3) Genome.
Q4) 15th February, 1989, saw the Red Army pull out of Afghanistan: following whose decision to reduce the army’s size?
Q5) Finally … 15th February, 2013, saw a meteor explode over Chelyabinsk.   In which country is Chelyabinsk?
A5) Russia.
I’ll leave you with this tune … 


And this thought.
“That program became the singly most modified program in computing history due to the many hardware environments in which it had to operate (no standards - no "IBM" to say where serial ports should be addressed, etc).”
Ward Christensen, author of the CBBS software.
Enjoy your day.










*        Wouldn’t you know, it Debbi?   We’ve got sunshine, right now!   The UK’s weather is … inconsistent, let’s put it that way!

1 comment:

  1. That's like the weather in Maryland. If you don't like it, wait 10 minutes. :)

    1. Chicago
    2. Illinois
    3. bulletin board system
    4. 80
    5. Blizzard

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.