
Do you remember, a few week’s ago, I wrote about William Gibson’s influential novel, “Neuromancer”?
And by the sequels, as well, come to that …
And I’m not to sure if I made it clear at the time, but all three novels — “Neuromancer”, “Count Zero”, and “Mona Lisa Overdrive” — are available to read online, at Project Cyberpunk.
It also looks like a certain Mr Gibson wasn’t the first person to use the phrase, although it was in relation to his work I first heard it.
They’re well worth checking out, I think, but I’m something of a sci-fi fan; just a touch biased, you could say …
But moving on …
Both sequels are a little different to the original novel.
“Neuromancer” had one plot; by contrast, both “Count Zero” and “Mona Lisa Overdrive” have three plot threads, that meet and resolve at each sequels climax.
“Count Zero” follows three threads to a joint climax. One thread follows a mercenary called Turner, as he and others attempt to help a scientist called Mitchell — along with some revolutionary research — defect from the company he works for; another follows the activities of small time, young hacker, Bobby Newmark — the ‘Count Zero’ of the title — almost being killed as a result of testing out some black-market software he’s picked up; the third sees out-of-work art-gallery owner Marly Krushkova, hired by the reclusive industrialist Josef Virek, to trace some Cornell style boxes he’s interested in. In addition, cyberspace — Gibson’s future version of the net — seems, after the events of “Neuromancer”, to have developed … inhabitants.
Who claim to be Vodou gods …
“Mona Lisa Overdrive” uses the same form three-thread, one climax form. The third novel in Gibson’s Sprawl trilogy sees title character, and hooker, Mona hired for an unexplained, and possibly dangerous, job. A second thread sees gangster’s daughter Kumiko having to move to London — and assigned Molly, one of the central characters of “Neuromancer” — for safety during a Yakuza mob war. Thread three finds reclusive artist and ex-con, Slick Henry being burdened with an apparently comatose body, hook up to a very strange — and very LARGE — exterior-drive.
Now writing a story like this isn’t something else, except in other works by William Gibson; “All Tomorrow’s Parties” springs to mind, but don’t quote me on that.
I couldn’t even tell you what what the technique is called.
But I do know I’ve enjoyed these.
Go follow those links through.
I think you’ll like them.


No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.