
Ok, ok, I’ll confess …
I couldn’t get a good quote from “State of Play” to use as a title … !
Which doesn’t mean it’s a bad film. Not by a long shot …
It’s one that sees Russell Crowe as investigative journalist Cal McAffrey, along side Rachel McAdams as cub reporter and blogger, Della Frye — hang on, why do I never met people like her! — investigating the curiously linked deaths of a pizza delivery man, and a researcher for Congressman Stephen Collins; played by a somewhat thinner looking than usual Ben Affleck.


You’ve got to ask if he’s gone on a diet; the few films I’ve seen him in, he’s built more like a Rugby player. Rather than a football player …


But that’s me digressing, again … !
“State of Play” — based on the 2003 BBC series — sees Crowe’s character investigating the shooting of a pizza delivery man in what’s suspected to be a drug related killing.
Until the Rachel McAdams character tells him that she suspects there’s a link to the — apparent — suicide of Sonia, a researcher for Ben Affleck’s congressman; himself investigating a rather iffy security company that hires mercenaries to the US government. You can possibly guess this is going to get a bit twisty, can’t you … ?
Which it is …
But quite entertainingly so, I’m thinking; but I also know I wouldn’t mind checking out the original BBC series.
It strikes me that, nicely done though the film version was, it’s seem to have had to dump a lot of plot. After all, it does compress a six hour series into two hours of film.
Adrian was watching with me tonight; the series got an “It’s Cool” from him. Which, in case you didn’t know, is Adrian for “Go BUY A COPY, NOW!!!!!”
Either way, though, we both agreed on one thing.
Well one or two …
“State of Play” does seem a bit thin.
But is entertaining.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.