Tuesday, 5 November 2013

The Daily Tease — 5-11-2013: Gunpowder, Treason and Plot

It’s official: it’s slowly getting cold enough for me to want to turn my heating on.

I think I can safely say I’m not going to bother, though.

Frankly, with my limited funds, it’s a choice involving hot water: hot water and food, or hot water and heating.

I can’t afford both: how about you?

You’ve got to love a big decision!

At ANY rate … ?   Let’s move on … !

~≈‡≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with letting us know she’s had a dose of acupuncture, also bagged ten out of ten.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To,’ License and video … 

Q1) 5th November saw Guy Fawkes arrested as he was attempting to blow up which House of Parliament … ?
Q2) Fawkes was famously part of the Gunpowder Plot.   Gunpowder being a mixture of sulphur, charcoal and what: potassium fulminate, potassium hydroxide or potassium nitrate?
Q3) Gunpowder is used to fire guns: and fireworks.   What’s the usual English name of the vertical, revolving, wheel-shaped firework?
Q4) The firework known as a Bengal Fire are usually what colour: red, blue or white … ?
Q5) Gunpowder was invented in 9th century … where … ?
Q6) Fawkes and his fellow plotters were trying to overthrow which English king … ?
Q7) Who lead the Gunpowder Plot … ?
Q8) Finally … who, on Bonfire Night, does an old song encourage us to ‘poke in the eye’ … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 4th November saw Barack Obama elected as the first African-American president of where … ?
A1) The USA.
Q2) In which year was this: 2004, 2008 or 2012?
A2) 2008.
Q3) Is he the 43rd, 44th or 45th President … ?
A3) 44th.
Q4) Who was his immediate predecessor in the office?
Q5) Which of President Obama’s predecessors was the first Roman Catholic to hold the office … ?
Q6) Which political party does President Obama represent … ?
A6) The Democrats.
Q7) What’s the name of the opposing party … ?
A7) The Republicans.
Q8) Who was the first person to hold this post: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams or George Washington … ?
Q9) As President, Mr Obama is also Commander in Chief of what … ?
A9) US Armed Forces.
Q10) Finally … President Obama represented which State, in his country’s Senate … ?
A10) Illinois.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“Remember, Remember, the fifth of November, Gunpowder, treason and plot.   I know of no reason, why gunpowder treason, should ever be forgot.”
Traditional rhyme.
And with some music for you to let fireworks off to … 


Have a good day … !






















*        There’s an upside to that, Debbi†: you can, with the help of three chaps from Texas, always sing about it … !


†        Actually, Debbi, TOTALLY off the subject: did you know India’s launching an unmanned mission to Mars, today … ?   Heck of a way to celebrate Fireworks Night … !   (Oh, and I loved the Concerned About The Internet Post, the other day: nicely put!)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Paul! My hand hurts too much to do the teaser, but I thought I'd say hi. So ... hi! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.