Well, THAT was embarrassing: I managed to mix up my shifts … !
Basically, I thought I was working, today: and it turns out I wasn’t … !
BOY, did I feel like a lemon … !
~≈Á≈~
But that’s not why your here, is it?
No.
No, it’s Wednesday: which means it’s time for the Brentwood Gazette’s Weekly Teaser.
Here’s this week’s World Toilet Day themed questions: covered by the usual Creative Commons License* …
Q1) 19th November is World Toilet Day. Its organizers are the World Toilet who?
Q2) The organization promotes sustainable what: farming, sanitation or sewerage?
Q3) The 2014 World Toilet Summit will be held in which South Asian country: Bangladesh, Bhutan or India?
Q4) Here in the UK, the commonest types of toilet had a handle or chain: to let us do what?
Q5) When our toilets empty, the waste goes through a u-bend. Which Victoria plumber invented the u-bend?
Q6) What — when we speak of toilets — does ‘WC’ stand for?
Q7) The box holds the water that goes into the toilet bowl is a what?
Q8) The Zvezda and Tranquility modules have the world’s most expensive toilets. Where ARE those modules?
Q9) They’ll be in the men’s public toilets: but usually not the ladies. What are we talking about?
Q10) Finally … the trucks used to empty portable toilets and cesspits are usually known as what wagons?
Here’s last week’s questions and answers …
Questions.
Q1) 12th November, 1984, saw Britain’s Chancellor of the Exchequer announce the phasing out of the £1 note. What was it replaced by … ?
Q2) Who was that Chancellor?
Q3) The £1 note’s replacement had been introduced in April of which year?
Q4) Who — apart from the Queen — was pictured on that £1 note … ?
Q5) In which year of the 1980s was the £1 note finally withdrawn from circulation?
Q6) The UK’s pound is the Pound … what?
Q7) What’s the symbol for the Pound?
Q8) The pound’s symbol is a fancy version of which letter?
Q9) Are Scottish or Northern Irish pound notes legal tender?
Q10) Finally … What’s the largest denomination of pound note, in everyday use?
Answers.
A1) The £1 coin.
A2) Nigel Lawson.
A3) 1983.
A4) Sir Isaac Newton. (Who, at one point, was the head of the Royal Mint: there’s a school of thought that says his real stroke of genius was not the discovery and measurement of gravity — ANYBODY could’ve done that — but the invention of the mill-edged coin, which helped reduce fraud1. He’s ALSO credited with the invention of the cat-flap.)
A5) 1988.
A6) Pound Sterling.
A7) I’ve shown you already in these questions: it’s the £ sign.
A8) L.
A9) No. If I’ve understood it correctly, they’re what’s called ‘promissory notes’: something along the lines of a cheque.
A10) The £50. (The £1, 000, 000 and £1, 00, 000, 000 notes are only used internally by the UK issuing banks: the Bank of England, along with the banks in Scotland and Northern Ireland that issue notes.)
Enjoy those. I’ll catch you next time.
* All that means is that you’re free to copy, use, alter and build on each of my quizzes: including the Teasers, Gazette Teasers and the Friday Question Sets. All I ask in return is that you give me an original authors credit on your event’s flyers or posters, or on the night: and, if you republish them, give me an original authors credit AND republish under the same license. A link back to the site — and to the Gazette’s, if that’s where you’ve found these — would be appreciated: as would pressing my donate button, here. Every penny is gratefully received.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.