Thursday 13 November 2014

The Daily Teaser — 13-11-2014: Real Football‡

Hmmm … 

You know, I had an interview, yesterday.

In Romford, it has to be said.

Which … 

Well, it seemed to go well.   I and my interviewer had the usual sort of give and take one gets at these things.

I’ll only know for sure: next Monday, when — if — they call.

I’m hopeful.   Frankly, it seems like an ideal job for me.

But I’m also realistic.   For all I feel I did well, however ideal a fit I feel I maybe, however well I feel I may have got on with my interviewer* … ?

I’m realistic enough to admit, I may well not get the job.

If I hear nothing, come Monday?   I’ll know for sure.

~≈Î≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi† putting in her answers: and scoring five out of six.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s themed questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video

Q1) 13th November saw Great Britain win the World Cup, at Rugby.      At which Rugby code?
Q2) In which year of the 1950s?
Q3) Who did we beat?
Q4) What was the score: 16-10, 16-11 or 16-12?
Q5) In the Rugby code we’re talking about, how many members does each team have: 11, 13 or 15?
Q6) How many players per team are there, in the other Rugby code: 11, 13 or 15?
Q7) When was the most recent Rugby World Cup: at least, of the code  we’re discussing?
Q8) Name any of the teams that played in that competition.
Q9) Which nation won the 2008 World Cup?
Q10) Finally … Rugby was supposedly invented when a schoolboy ran with the ball in his hands.   What was that schoolboys name?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 12th November, 1990, saw Sir Tim Berners Lee publish his proposals for what’s now called the World Wide Web.   Which three letter prefix is at the start of a web address?
A1) www.
Q2) That prefix can’t be preceded by what: http, https or ftp?
A2) ftp.
Q3) 12th November, 1990, saw Akihito crowned as Emperor of Japan. I her the 123rd, 124th or 125th Emperor?
A3) 125th.
Q4) 12th November, 1980, saw NASA’s Voyager 1 probe take photos of Saturn.   Which famous astronomer first saw Saturn’s rings, back in 1610?
A4) Galileo Galilei.   (Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me, for me, for meeeeeeee … Sorry … )
Q5) 12th November, 2001, saw British plane spotters held on charges of spying: by authorities in which European country?
A5) Greece.
Q6) Finally … 12th November, 1954, saw New York city close its immigration control centre.   On which island was that centre?
I’ll leave you with some singing rugby players: be thankful it’s short … 


And with this thought …
“In its modern dress or its old, it is a fine, fine game - the best of all, I reckon, played by men with a ball in their hands.”

Player, coach and pundit, Frank Hyde, speaking in 1995.
Enjoy the day!











*        I have to admit, we were all asked to bring in something to brag about: which was a new one for me.   I took in yesterday’s Gazette, complete with the Weekly Teaser.   (At one point, the interviewer asked “What can you offer my company, if we choose to hire you?”   I got a cheap laugh: by saying “Well, I’ll bring in the answers, next week.”   And then got on with my more serious answer.   Whether that helped, I don’t know: but I may use it again … )

†        Hopefully, I’ve bagged the job, Debbi: but one never knows, does one … ?

‡        I know that title will raise a few eyebrows.   But …
  • Historically, the game’s a form of football: and still described as such by its organising bodies.
  • It’s called ‘rugby football’ by a lot of the players I’ve seen interviewed.

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Thought I'd just drop by and say hello!

Hope you get the job! :)