Wednesday 29 March 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 29-3-2017: The Big B

Hmm … 

Well … 

It starts here.

Just in case you hadn’t realised?

Today is the day that Britain’s kickstarts the process to leave the EU.

Theresa May signed the letter, last night: and it’s due to get handed out by the British Ambassador to the EU, at midday.

Personally … ?

I felt we really needed that referendum, last year: to get the damn thing done with.

I voted Remain.

But realised, on the day, that we were out.

Personally?

I never thought we’d see the day Britain would be leaving.   Never thought today — the day we trigger that leaving process — would come.

Never thought the world could change in this particular way.

Oh, I expected it.    

I just never thought it would happen.

~≈fi≈~

I’ve got to admit that I’m saddened by what’s happening: I really am.

But also have to admit that the world … ?

Goes on.

As does this blog.

Let’s get a move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with todays questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) The process that start’s Britain’s leaving the EU will be triggered: on 29th March, 2017.   Leaving is known as which ‘B’?
Q2) The process will start when the Prime Minister sends the formal letter.   Who is the current PM?
Q3) That letter will be sent to the other members of the EU.   How many members: 25, 26 or 27?
Q4) The process of leaving is under an article of the Treaty of Lisbon.   Which article?
Q5) Finally … how long are the leaving negotiations due to take?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 28th March, 1801, saw the signing of the Treaty of Florence: a peace treaty between the First French Republic … and which Italian kingdom?
Q2) The second asteroid ever discovered, was found on 28th March, 1802.   What’s the asteroid called: 2 Pallas, 2 Palace or 2 Palance?
A2) 2 Pallas.
Q3) The Acheson–Lilienthal Report report was released to the public: on 28th March, 1946.   It proposed controls on what: chemical weapons, nuclear weapons or conventional weapons?
A3) Nuclear weapons: as well As nuclear energy in general.
Q4) A new coin is due to be introduced into the UK: on 28th March, 2017.   What denomination of coin: £1, £2 or £5?
A4) £1.
Q5) Who was named as Roman Emperor: on 28th March, 37AD?
A5) Caligula.
I’ll leave you with a thought …
“We cannot afford the luxury of time and wait to see what deals we can strike,”
Hywel Williams, MP, speaking about the voted that gave the PM the authority to trigger leaving.
And the only songs I felt appropriate … 



Enjoy the day … 




*        I have to say, Olga, you’re right: Caligula wasn’t exactly nice.   Did you ever John Hurt’s version of him?   Speaking as a layman, the only phrase I can use is ‘complete, gibbering loon.’   And I think the whole thing with the dates is down to the way Google’s +1 service works.   I think it’s routed through a lot of US servers, which are x hours behind.   I’m so sorry to hear about your cousin: sounds like it’s not just a loss on a personal front, but a historical one.   Citizen science/research can make such a contribution … 

†        Oh, my pleasure, Debbi!   You’ve put so much work in, here, it’s the least I could do!   Hang on, rock!?   We don’t rock!   We do strange stuff that goes clunk-da-clunk-da-clunk-whiiiirrrrrr-doof-doof-doof!   Ahem!

2 comments:

Debbi said...

John Denver! Haven't heard him sing in years! :)

1. Brexit
2. Theresa May
3. 27
4. Article 50
5. at least 2 years (maybe more?)

Olga said...

Oh, yes, I loved 'I Claudius'. Difficult to choose one of the great performances, although John Hurt was fantastic (and of course Derek Jacobi, Sean Phillips...
Today I was on my way back from Wales so I spent a big chunk of the day driving (and then I had a translation to do for an agency). Considering the theme of the quiz, perhaps better to revisit tomorrow (if I can. Back to the radio).
Yes, my cousin helped a lot of people and relatives of those who'd died in Mauthausen and was very active sharing information about the war in schools too.
Do take care.