Sunday, 11 July 2010

The Daily Teaser …

I know, I know …

It’s another late start.

But, play fair, it is Sunday, after all.

And I was up late, last night, finishing up a post about the Movie me, Movie Night Adrian and Squeaky managed to cat … !!

Interesting movie, Edge of Darkness

‹‹‹~›››

But I’m burbling, aren’t I … ?

Lets get moving on, shall we.

Yesterday’s Teaser say Mr Strict, Trevor and Pink Fluffy all putting their answers: Trevor and Mr S both scoring 6 out of 6, and Fluff bagging 2.

It also saw both Trevor and Mr S putting in some rather interesting supplementary material, as well, which are always worth having a look at … !

Lets see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we … ? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’ and License:

Q1) According to the U. N. Development Council, July 11th is World what Day … ?

Q2) 11th July, 1576, saw explorer and privateer Martin Frobisher, sight where … ?

Q3) 11th July, 1955, saw which phrase added to US currency … ?

Q4) 11th July, 1972, saw the start of the first game of what’s been called ‘The Match of the Century’: which game was being played.

Q5) Name either of the players.

Q6) More to the point, the winner of that game eventually became a passport holder in which country … ?

Q7) And finally … 11th July, 1960, saw the first publication of Harper Lee’s To Kill A Mocking Bird: who played Scout, in the 1962 film version of the novel … ?

And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers:

Q1) 10th July, 1925, saw the beginning of of the Scopes Trial: or the State of Tennessee vs John Scopes: what did trial find Scopes guilty of teaching … ?
A1) Evolution.

Q2) 10th July, 1943, saw British, Canadian and American troops invade which Mediterranean island … ?
A2) Sicily. (With help — allegedly — from a certain Mr Salvatore Lucania.)

Q3) 10th July, 1940, saw the German Luftwaffe launch what later became called … what … ?
A3) The Battle of Britain.

Q4) 10th July, 1962, saw the operational launch of which satellite … ?
A4) Telstar 1.

Q5) More to the point, who composed the tune named after that satellite … ?
A5) Joe Meek.

Q6) And finally … 10th July, 2002, saw the painting called The Massacre of the Innocents sold for a record £49.5million: who painted The Massacre of the Innocents?
A6) Peter Paul Rubens.

Enjoy those, everyone. I’ll catch you later … !






1 comment:

  1. Q1 World Population Day
    Q2 Greenland
    Q3 In God We Trust
    Q4 Chess
    Q5 Robert James "Bobby" Fischer & Boris Vasilievich Spassky
    Q6 Iceland

    Trevor

    “A man is but what he knows” - Francis Bacon

    “Be obscure clearly.”

    “English usage is sometimes more than mere taste, judgment and education - sometimes it's sheer luck, like getting across the street.”

    “Genius is more often found in a cracked pot than in a whole one.”

    “The time not to become a father is eighteen years before a war.”

    “There's no limit to how complicated things can get, on account of one thing always leading to another.”

    Quotes by E.B. White born July 11th 1899

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.