Tuesday 19 February 2013

The Daily Teaser — 19-2-2013

Hmmm … 

Fascinating stuff to watch … 

You’re wondering what I’m talking about: but it’s simple, really.

I’ve got a documentary on, that I recorded, last night: all about Google’s efforts to digitise every book on the planet.

Whether that’s the road to a digital hell, or heaven is possibly a debatable thing: certainly something the show’s trying to address.

What I’m curious to know … ?

Is one question the BBC’s team asked a monk, who’s library had been digitised: “Shouldn’t you be getting some cash out of it … ?”

The monk concerned gave a long drawn out “Hmmm” … 

You know … 

I’m not surprised people were suing … !

Let’s move on, shall we … ?

~~~~~

Yesterday’s teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: along with putting up this post, And letting me know a comment I’d posted had got through to her*, also bagged 7 out of 7.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we … ?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 19th February, 1976, saw President Ford rescind Executive Order 9066: the World War 2 US government order that interned whom … ?
Q2) More to the point, which cast-member of the original series of Star Trek was affected by Executive Order 9066 … ?
Q3) 19th February, 2001, saw a five-mile exclusion zone, around an abattoir identified as a source of Foot and Mouth disease.   In which English county was this … ?
Q4) 19th February, 1473, saw the birth of which astronomer … ?
Q5) 19th February, 1945, saw 30, 000 US marines land on Iwo Jima: name either of the Clint Eastwood films about the Battle Of Iwo Jima …
Q6) And finally … 19th February, 1906, saw the founding of the Kellogg Company: under which name … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) Pluto was discovered on February 18th: of which year … ?
A1) 1930.
Q2) More to the point, in which year was Pluto re-classed as a dwarf planet … ?
A2) 2006.
Q3) Sling-shot around Jupiter, what’s the name of the 2006-launched mission to Pluto … ?
A3) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Horizons.
Q4) Name any of Pluto’s 5 moons … ?
A4) Charon, Hydra, Nix, S/2011 P 1 and S/2012 P 1.
Q5) What’s the largest of those moons … ?
A5) Charon.
Q6) In classical mythology, Pluto was the god of what: mountains, rivers or the underworld … ?
A6) The Underworld.
Q7) And finally … which radioactive metal is named after Pluto … ?
A7) Plutonium.
I’ll leave you with this this tune from The Beat, as it’s front-man, Dave Wakelin’s birthday … 


Dave share’s his birthday with the late great Lee Marvin: given that … ?
“As soon as people see my face on a movie screen, they knew two things: first, I'm not going to get the girl, and second, I'll get a cheap funeral before the picture is over.”
Lee Marvin February 19, 1924 – August 29, 1987

Have a good day … 








*        Yeah, I’ve had that, myself.   I think the first few always do end up in your Spam folder: well … up until your mailbox get’s the hang of it … 

1 comment:

Debbi said...

I love your choice of songs, Paul. :) This has been a tough time for me. I'll be honest. But I'm hanging in there. :)

1. Japanese Americans
2. George Takei
3. Essex
4. Nicolaus Copernicus
5. Flags of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima
6. the Battle Creek Toasted Corn Flake Company