Thursday, 11 April 2013

The Daily Teaser — 11-4-2013: I’m Sorry, I Haven’t A Clue† … !

You know, by now, you’ve probably worked I’m both British AND English,

And, as such … ?

Like a nice cup of tea on a frequent basis.

Along with that … ?   I’m ALSO going to admit, I’ve part one of a documentary on — one I recorded last night —  about the stuff.

It’s a fascinating watch, I should add.  I already knew about the Empire’s slightly murky history.   But, sometime’s it’s nice to be remember Britain — as a nation — were the world’s first organised drug gang* … !

Let’s get moving on, shall we?   Before I get sarcastic about that … 

««•»»

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbiº — much pleased I’d managed to leave her a comment on her post, here — putting in her answers: and bagging ten out of tenª.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) April 11th, 1972, saw the first broadcast of I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue: who was its first chairman?
Q2) More to the point, who’s the show’s current chairman?
Q3) Name any of the three current, regular panelists … 
Q4) Which of the show’s then regular panelists died in 1996 … ?
Q5) What’s the name of the show’s ever lovely scorer … ?
Q6) Which guest panelist is famously beloved of the show’s satellite navigation system … ?
Q7) And finally … What’s the name of the I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue game takes place — usually — on the London Underground … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answer …
Q1) 10th April, 1912, saw the RMS Titanic leave port for its first and only voyage: which English port did it leave from … ?
A1) Southampton..
Q2) More to the point, which US port was the ship bound for … ?
A2) New York.
Q3) What is RMS short for … ?
A3) Royal Mail Ship.
Q4) The ship was owned and operated by which line … ?
A4) The Oceanic Steam Navigation Company or White Star Line of Boston Packets: commonly known as just the White Star Line.
Q5) The RMS Titanic was built by Harland and Wolff: in which city … ?
A5) Belfast.
Q6) Which ocean was the ship crossing, when struck by that iceberg … ?
A6) The North Atlantic Ocean.
Q7) What class of ship was the Titanic: Olympic, Titanic or Britannic … ?
A7) Olympic.
Q8) Name either of the other two in that class … ?
A8) The Olympic and the Britannic.
Q9) Exactly how many lifeboats did the Titanic have: twenty, thirty or forty … ?
A9) Twenty: about half as many as needed.
Q10) And finally … In which year was the wreck of the RMS Titanic finally found … ?
A10) 1985.
I’ll leave you with this quote from Humphrey Lyttelton …
“After tasting the meat pies, Samantha said she liked Mr Dewhurst’s beef in ale; although she preferred his tongue in cider.”
Hymphrey Lyttelton.
And the theme tune to I’m Sorry, I Haven’t A Clue … 
















*        We managed to break the Chinese monopoly on tea, by introducing them to opium.   The wonders of imperialism … 

º        My pleasure, Debbi.   I still can’t believe that one potential client … !

ª        See, Debbi … ?   You might be feeling godawful, but we wouldn’t know it, this end. :D

†        As a note for my overseas readers, I’m Sorry, I Haven’t A Clue is one of my favourite radio shows: usually available, domestically, on BBC Radio Four, and internationally, on the BBC World Service.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Paul! :) I really would love to jump into a TARDIS, take a trip back to Brentwood, and see everyone. Maybe even meet this Stephen Leather fellow. :) That would be awesome.

    1. Humphrey Lyttelton
    2. Jack Dee
    3. Timothy Brooke-Taylor
    4. Willie Rushton
    5. Samantha
    6. John Cleese (no idea, really :))
    7. Mornington Crescent

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.