Thursday, 19 June 2014

The Machine: Interesting …

18th June, 2014.

It HAS to be said … THAT was enjoyable!

No, really.

The movie, I should say … 

Um … 

I should try and tell you what on Earth I’m talking about, shouldn’t?

Yes, I should … 

~≈Ç≈~
You’ve possibly worked out — by now — I’m out of a job.

Hadn’t you … ?

Well, you know, now.

And, yes: for an unskilled single bloke who’s getting older, jobhunting isn’t easy.

Neither’s balancing the books.

I am, like many, on benefits: and, frankly, I’d rather not be, thank you.

I’d like to be earning my own way.

But have to be both realistic: and careful with the money given to me.

Juggling that isn’t easy.

But occasionally … ?

Very occasionally — once every few months type occasionally! — I can afford a £15 iTunes gift card. Something I try to make last for as long possibly.

Now, why, I hear you ask, would I want to do that … ?

Easy.

I like renting films, occasionally.

On benefits?

Renting a movie from iTunes is;
  • A cheap night in.
  • A cheap night in with company: if you’ve got company.
  • Something to do.
  • Oh … and a cheap way of boosting morale, and relieving boredom.
So, as you’re asking … ?   Yes, I had a little credit left in my iTunes account.   And, yes, I went and rented a movie.

And while I think the resulting evening’s viewing wasn’t the most brilliant film in Apple’s catalogue, I think 2014 film, The Machine was interesting.

Hmmm … 

Let me grab some sleep: and I’ll tell you more in the morning … 

~≈Ç≈~

19th June, 2014.

Right, then … you’ve worked out I managed to watch The Machine, last night: hadn’t you … ?

Produced, directed and written by Caradog W. JamesThe Machine is set in a near future: when  Britain is locked into a cold war with China.

The on-going situation sees scientists Vincent and Ava — Toby Stevens and Caity Lotz, respectively — working for the Ministry of Defence.

Partly on seriously brain-damaged soldiers who’ve received complex implants that allow them to function relatively normally, for a few months.

They’re also researching artificial intelligence: with an eye, specifically with an eye to building an android super-soldier.

But with Vincent eyeing applications for his very ill daughter.

It’s only when Ava is killed by a Chinese assassin that things take something of a nasty turn.   As Vincent realises he can use her now mapped brain as software, and her mapped body as the model for a Machine.

The Machine.

And when that’s first activated … ?

That’s when the fun starts … 

~≈Ç≈~

Now, I was saying how The Machine isn’t perfect.

It’s not: not very.

It’s possibly too derivative of both Frankenstein: Or A Modern Prometheus, Bladerunner and possibly The Terminator to be considered original*.

But … ?

But it does make a good effort to be both stylish and entertaining: with a cast that performs well, ideas that aren’t necessarily new, but used well, and a script that’s put together competently.

On the whole?

The Machine makes for an entertaining evening.
★★☆☆





*        And possibly Splice as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.