It’s Christmas Day.
You can TELL, can’t you … ?
Wrapping paper, everywhere, frustrations, toys getting thrown out of the pram …
And that’s the grown ups … !
Of course the upside … ?
Is the new monitor and Apple TV I’ve been given.
AND how well a Certain Nephew felt about some Thunderbirds toys Santa brought him … !
If only that Turtle play set was as easy to assemble …
~≈∑≈~
However, that’s possibly a whole other story.
The one I managed to catch, getting home, tonight?
Was this year’s Dr Who Christmas special: The Husbands of River Song
The Christmas episode opens slowly, with Nardole (Matt Lucas) on a snowing street apparently looking for … someone.
And asking the Doctor, when he finds him, if he ‘is a surgeon.’
It s only when the Doctor replies with a yes,he get’s taken to a small house: where the planet’s ruler, the brutal King Hydroflax, is ill.
Someone’s attempted to shoot him throw the head, with a very large diamond.
Leaving the diamond lodged in his still living brain, and his wife DESPERATE to get help.
His wife … ?
Is River Song, played by Alex Kingston.
Ever get the feeling someone’s got an ulterior motive … ?
~≈∑≈~
We quite possibly do, don’t we?
Now, I have to confess, I thoroughly enjoyed this Christmas episode. Frankly?
Frankly, the Matt Smith/Stephen Moffat episodes were good … but maybe a touch too Christmassy.
The Husbands of River Song, on the other hand?
Was a different kettle of fish: allowing Moffat to examine River with a new Doctor: and Kingston to explore darker depths of the character, against a Doctor who is older … and FAR deeper … than she expected.
There’s a scene, near the end of the episode, when River finally realises who she’s dealer with, that says it all. Kingston’s River, during the confrontation in the restaurant — on the spaceship —, just throws a glance at Capaldi’s Doctor … that says it all.
There’s a later scene: where she and the Doctor are discussing their meeting at the Singing Towers that’s possibly one of Moffat’s best scenes.
Personally … ?
I can’t help but think The Husbands of River Song — certainly in terms of emotional content — is one of Moffat’s best.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.