Monday 14 September 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 14th September, 2020.

14th September, 2020.


It’s official: it’s Monday morning … 

And I still have 21 Second To Go banging around my head!


Frankly?

The only song that’s earwormed me for longer … ?

Is Jessica Lange’s version of The Name Game.


Come back Lana Banana, all is forgiven … !

~≈†≈~

I mentioned a couple of days ago, that a bag of human remains had been found in a river.

In the believe it may — may — be linked to a possibly serial killer.

So far?   And as far as I know?

No other bodies have been found.

On the other hand?

According to the most recent piece of news I’ve seen?

No one’s been able to identify the remains … 

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Debbi‡ and my mother^ putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 14th September, 1985, saw twenty-five British nationals expelled from where?
Q2) 14th September, 1812, saw Napoleon’s Grand Armée occupy which city?
Q3) 14th September, 1812, saw a fire hit  which city?
Q4) 14th September, 1960, saw the found of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries.   Name any one of the thirteen current members.
Q5) Finally … ?   14th September, 2015, saw the Virgo and LIGO observatories become the become the first to observe what: a black hole, gravity waves or a neutron star?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Which country left the Warsaw Pact organisation: on 13th September, 1968?
A1) Albania.
Q2) 13th September is the feast day of Saint Marcellinus of Carthage.   The historical city was in what’s now where: Africa, Europe or North America?
A2) Africa.
Q3) Ögedei Khan was named as Great Khan: on 13th September, 1229.   He was the third son of which Mongol leader?
Q4) 13th September, 1609, saw Henry Hudson find which river?
A4) The Hudson.
Q5) Finally … ?   13th September, 1860, saw the birth of General John J. Pershing.   During WW1, he commanded US forces on what: the Eastern Front, Western Front or the Ottoman Empire?
A5) The Western Front.
Here’s a thought …
“I didn’t watch Star Trek the first year it was on, before I was on the show. I took one look at the Styrofoam rocks and said: ‘There’s no way I’m going to watch this!’.”
Walter Koenig, born September 14, 1936.
And a song … that’s possibly going to annoy someone … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Gotcha, Olgaº.   I have to say, the translation business sounds a bit … um … cut-throat … !
As for songs … ?   That’s a good question, actually: the only vaguely work related song I can think of is Workin’ in a Coal Mine: and that’s hardly a children’s song!   I’ll have a think, but I’m not sure if I’ll be able to help, there!   (Hmmm … I might just have a word on a Facebook group I’m in.   Throwing that sort of question at a large group of Terry Pratchett fans can get interesting results.)


†        Well, I’ve got it all set up, Trevorª: I think I know some one else on it, as well: we’ll have To see what happens … 

‡        Glad to hear it, Debbiª!   Oh, can you tell Rick the reason the Mandalorian doesn’t have a mandolin … ?   Is because Captain Corelli nicked it … um … (I could never get the hang of corny! :D )


^        Morning!

ª        Actually, Trevor, Debbi, can you think of any songs about jobs, or professions?   We have a chance of impressing someone … !

º        There’s these as well, Olga … 


5 comments:

Nik Nak said...

OK, Olga: the group’s as good as promised … 

Flanders and Swan’s The Gasman Cometh
Van Morrison’s Cleaning Windows
Hole in the Ground, by Bernard Cribbins
The Blacksmith
Taxman, by the Beatles
Elvis Costello’s Watching the Detectives
Various versions of Please Me Postman
Meri Wilson’s Telephone Man,
Working Girls: although that’s the same sort of job as Roxanne, the Police song.
Paperback Writer,


I’ve also got My Old Man’s a Dustman, Ernie, Wichita Linesman … and the Dentist Song!

Let me know if this list shows up!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1D4uFQS0fQU25wIsDLT6jz?si=t0egc2ISROiJ0C4QDdLW4A







trev-v said...

A1 USSR
A2 Moscow
A3 Moscow
A4 Iran
A5 gravity waves


The first song that I can think of about a job is “My old man is a dustman” sung by the skiffle player Lonnie Donegan. Then there is the Opera buffa “The Barber of Saville” by Rossini.

Then there is “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street “ if you want some modern music.

The Marvelettes – Please Mr Postman
Benny Hill – Ernie (The Fastest Milkman in the West)
Postman Pat – Postman Pat & His Black and White Cat
Fireman Sam – Fireman Sam

Finally one of my favourites as a kid
George Formby “Mr Wu is a window cleaner now”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w3X95uWv8A


Olga said...

Q1) The USSR
Q2) Moscow
Q3) Moscow (surprise, surprise)!
Q4) Algeria
Q5) Gravitational waves
Thanks, Paul! It might be a bit much for the girl, although when I meet her tomorrow I'll know what her level is like (in theory she understands spoken English reasonably well, but she does not study it at school. She goes to a Swiss bilingual school, and they introduce languages slowly (they start with German and Spanish, it seems, although by the end she will also speak Catalan, French, and English).
You're right about translation agencies and their practices, although I'm sure there might be some good ones. My preference is for literary translations, and although I have nothing against more pedestrian kinds of translation, the problem is having to adopt other people's methods, especially when they seem random and only focused on speed and cheap prices.

Debbi said...

I know the reference, so I'd say you're better than you think! :)

1. the USSR
2. Moscow
3. Moscow
4. Iraq
5. gravity waves

Debbi said...

How about "Bell Boy" by The Who?

https://youtu.be/EAsnXxoKQp8