Tuesday, 7 September 2010

The Flats …

Well, I never …

Talk about your Town Hall Politics … !

I’m just thankful I was wearing brown underwear, tonight, let’s put it that way …

Now, as you’ve probably guessed, there’s been quite a bit of fuss about the flats that Taylor Wimpey were — were, I should stress — planning to put on Saint James Road.

Notice I said were … ?

Because I was at the meeting of Brentwood Council’s Planning meeting, tonight, along with both Movie Night Adrian, and another neighbour and one or two of the neighbours, as well …

As it turns out, the various rules and regulations of the Planning Committee meeting debates of these things allow for a person objecting to the any such plans — as well as someone in favour of them — to speak for three minutes on why they think the plans are a bad move.

Or a good idea, depending.

Guess who volunteered to speak as an objector … ?

I’m a tart for the attention, aren’t I … ?

And, yep, that was me that volunteered to speak against the plans.

Not for very long, granted, but I think I managed to make my point.

Or points …

You only actually get three minutes to speak, and I don’t actually think I used all of them: I know one of my next door neighbours managed to do an audio capture of the relevant part of the meeting, but I’m not sure I timed myself: I do know I felt nervous.

And, yes, I know that many of my neighbours who were there told me I did fine.

And, yes, I also know I ran pub quizzes for six years.

But that doesn’t exactly stop stage-fright!

‹‹‹◊›››

At any rate, the initial procedure — for me — was sort of fascinating to watch. Although I think I’d be bored out of my skull having to do that all of the time.

None the less …

Hmm …

The whole thing opened with the Planning Committee’s chairman — Councillor McCheyne, if I’ve got this right — making some basic opening statements, introducing the various councillors involved, and — in the case of the Saint James Road site — telling us all that it had been recommended for refusal.

Which I’am assuming is on the basis of the various petitions — like the one organised by Councillor Chilvers, pictured — and objections already received.

But the fact that someone was there to object — and no-one was there to seemingly speak in favour?

Hopefully that helped!

Councillor McCheyne also — in his introduction — also told everyone about exactly which committee members could and couldn’t vote on each application. I’m not too sure if I got the straight of that, but — if I’ve understood it correctly — it appears that any councillors who’ve already spoken out about an application are assumed to be already biased for or against: I’m hoping that Councillor Chilvers — and Movie Night Adrian, who was there, and quietly disagreed about that, afterwards — will leave a comment or two.

Actually, Councillor Chilvers was one of the Committee members who had her vote on the application disallowed: on that very rule.

However, both her and Councillor Holmes*, who’s one of the other two Councillors for the Brentwood West ward, did have a chance to speak about this: both against, I should add.

(Before I forget, we also had some explanatory comments from one of Brentwood Council’s officers, detailing the various clauses in the application, and a question from Councillor David Kendall, the Lib-Dem Essex Council member for the area, asking if he could be allowed to speak.)

‹‹‹◊›››

So …

With all of the talk … ?

(Very tempting to use the word verbiage, there, but never mind …)

Well …

I’m hoping I’ve got something of a scoop, here …

But the net result of all of the talk … ?

Is that Taylor Wimpey’s plans to build 71 flats on Saint James Road have been — wait for it — REFUSED!!

Phew!!

‹‹‹◊›››

The big question … ?

The big question, of course, is what happens next.

To be frank … ?

I’m not too sure.

I do know that there was a heck of a lot of comment from various Committee members that made a lot of the fact that Taylor Wimpey and Crest Nicholson had — as part of the planning application that got Rollason Way originally built — agreed to build some sort of amenities area, something I know I wasn’t aware of.

In fact, one Councillor, whose name I didn’t catch, was insistent that some sort of play area’s be built: his word’s were that not to have them was “sullying the memory of Helen Rollasonº”: who he’d known personally, and after whom Rollason Way was named.

Well …

Let me re-phrase that earlier phrase to ‘it’s something I was reminded of’: I can dimly remember the signs up for ‘The Base’ — Crest Nicholson’s name for the bit of the estate that they’d constructed — that promised a certain amount of park. There’s none of that visible from my front or back windows.

Unless you count Brentwood Station’s car-park, over the road, but I don’t think that’s what meant.

At any rate, I do know me and the neighbours got nattering on the way back. To a man, we all agreed that — hopefully — that patch of grass should either be kept as a patch of park.

Or maybe have a community hall built on it.

Here’s hoping …










* Councillor Holmes isn’t on the Committee: but had the chance to speak as one of the Councillors representing the area.

º Sports reporter, Helen Rollason lived in Brentwood up until her death in 1999: Rollason Way is named after her, and all of the flats along it are named after various sportsmen and women.

2 comments:

  1. Just as a foot note, I’ve been flicking through the copy of the agenda given to me, last night.

    And can’t help but notice that the amenities — or, I should say the lack of them provided by Crest Nicholson and Taylor Wimpey — did get a mention as a bad thing.

    As did the (non)-provision of parking …

    And there seems to be no mention — from any of the emergency services — about access.

    As thing’s stand now … ?

    I can’t help but wonder when — when, not if — that’ll kill someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just as another footnote, you can see the footage, through the link.

    http://www.brentwood.ukcouncil.net/site/player/pl_compact.php?a=44666&t=0&m=wms&l=en_GB#data_area

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.