Thursday 11 December 2014

The Daily Teaser — 11-12-2014: Anonymous … 

Well … 

That’s January’s done … 

Did I tell you I write sets of brain teasers for my local newspaper, the Brentwood Gazette?

I’ve been at it for some time, now: and thoroughly enjoy it.

The fact the good folk at the Gazette let me post to their site, helps*.

Well, I’ve just finished writing the weekly Teasers for January.

And I think I can say I’m pleased with them.   I’ve done something of a nice set.

If you’re one of my Gazette readers?   Keep your eyes peeled for them … !

~≈†≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi† putting in her answers: and scoring four out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s themed questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 11th December saw Bill W, one of AA’s founders, finally stop drinking.   In which year of the 1930s?
Q2) What did the W stand for … ?
Q3) More to the point, what does AA stand for?
Q4) The group takes its name from its main text, used to help members achieve sobriety.   The book is nicknamed … what?
Q5) Bill W cofounded AA with Dr Robert Smith: known to many AA members as Dr … what?
Q6) The group was founded in Akron: in which US state is Akron?
Q7) The group famously has how many steps?
Q8) What name does AA give to someone who talks a newcomer through the Steps?
Q9) One of AA’s offshoot groups helps drug addicts, and is called NA.   What does NA stand for?
Q10) When going through that final treatment, Bill W was treated with a drug made from which beautiful woman?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 10th December, 1979, saw who do a jump over an 50 foot drop, on a 400 cc motorbike?
A1) Stuntman, Eddie Kidd.
Q2) 10th December, 1817, saw Mississippi become the 20th State of the Union.   What’s Mississippi’s state capital?
A2) Jackson.
Q3) 10th December, 1884, saw the original publication of Mark Twain’s The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn.   What was the title of Twain’s next novel?
Q4) Which East Asian country became a constitutional monarchy, on the 10th December, 1932: Vietnam, Thailand or Japan?
A4) Thailand.
Q5) Finally … 10th December, 1914, saw the birth of Dorothy Lamour.   Dorothy appeared in the Road To … movies with Bob Hope: and who else?
I’ll leave you with this tune … 


And this thought …
“There (in the hospital) I humbly offered myself to God, as I then understood Him, to do with me as He would.   I placed myself unreservedly under His care and direction.   I admitted for the first time that of myself I was nothing; that without Him I was lost.   I ruthlessly faced my sins and became willing to have my new-found Friend take them away, root and branch.   I have not had a drink since.”
Bill W, November 26, 1895 – January 24, 1971.
Enjoy your day … 











*        If I’ve understood how Google’s PageRank system works, the more incoming links you have — and the more important the sites those links are from — the better.

†        My pleasure, Debbi‡: it’s going to take a day or two, though, work being what it is …   (You know, I’m going to have to sit down with some Twain, at some point: I’ve never actually read any … )

‡        Actually, Debbi¹, I may not ever be able to afford a trip to the States.   But the next time you and Rick are over, the coffee’s are on me … 

¹        Going TOTALLY off the subject, Debbi, have you got $600, 000 going spare?   Only Christie’s have got a bit of a bargain going … 

3 comments:

Nik Nak said...

It’s coming up to Christmas: a time when many of us who have issues with drinking find tough.

If you feel you have an issue with drinking, and wish to talk to AA about it, you can look up their UK website: here.

If you an English speaker in the EU, you can go here.

Or you can go here, if you’re in North America.

Anonymous said...

Dear Nikers,

Am pleased to see you're doing well(ish).

Will be in touch early in the New Year, or maybe before. Have a Happy Christmas and a Merry NYE.

Debbi said...

Oh, if only I did have the money! :)

I hope we can get back your way. Maybe even with my funny sister! You'd love her.

1. 1934
2. Wilson
3. Alcoholics Anonymous
4. The Big Book
5. Dr. Bob
6. Ohio
7. 12
8. a sponsor
9. Narcotics Anonymous
10. Belladonna