Tuesday 20 March 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 20th March, 2018

20th March, 2018.


I have to admit, I had an … issue … last night: believe it or not, whilst writing up the post about another episode of The Man in the High Castle.

Some of my media files?

Wouldn’t open with the version of QuickTime Player that cam with High Sierra – given me a rather long error code, ‘1718449215.


I had to admit, I got a relatively late night: tinkering around, trying to see what I could do to solve the issue.

And realised that the files causing issues had extra audio tracks — commentary, remixed audio tracks, what-have-you — as opposed to the ones that weren’t causing problems.

Which had just the one.

The simplest fix I found for this?

Is simply to re-rip the file with HandBrake.

~≈§≈~

In other (ish) news?

I’ve now managed to connect the new blu-ray drive I bough to my new iMac.

It works: and happily shows up.

Unfortunately?

I can’t use the current version of HandBrake without using a hack: which, in theory lets me install libdvdcss, the library that lets me get around DVD’s copy protection.

Not, at least, without being asked to a root password in Terminal.

However, there’s a work around, there.

I can still MakeMKV* to turn the contents of a DVD or bluray into .mkv files: which can then be ripped by HandBrake, as usual.

There’s always a way … 

~≈§≈~
Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they along, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Children of the Forest was first performed: on 20th March, 1888.   It was the first opera produced in which language: Romani, Russian or Romanian?
Q2) IRA bombs went off: on 20th March, 1993.   In which town in Cheshire?
Q3) The USA’s Food And Drug Administration approved the use of The drug AZT: on 20th March, 1987.   The drug is used to combat what: Polio, AIDS or Leprosy?
Q4) 20th March, 2018, is the Spring Equinox: in the Northern Hemisphere.   Which terrestrial UK channel broadcast a science series called ‘Equinox’?
Q5) The Dutch East India Company was founded on 20th March, 1602.   It’s main HQ was in which Dutch city?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) A study published on 19th March, 1964, proposed that south east England should have three news cities built.   Name one of the resulting cities/towns.
A1) Milton Keynes, Havant or Basingstoke.
Q2) Which country was suspended from the Commonwealth: on 19th March, 2002?
A2) Zimbabwe.
Q3) 19th March, 1848, saw the birth of the former deputy town Marshall of Tombstone, Arizona.   Who was he?
Q4) The Emley Moor transmitting station collapsed: on 19th March, 1969.   The tower transmitted signals for what: TV, Radio or Wi-fi
A4) TV.
Q5) Finally … England’s House of Commons abolished what: on 19th March, 1649?
A5) The House of Lords.   (That worked …)
Here’s a thought.
“People should still remember the war. They shouldn’t forget. It’s up to the schools to teach the children what it is all about.”
Dame Vera Lynn, born 20th March, 1917, speaking about WW2.
And a song … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day!




*        In theory, I could use Aurora Blu Ray Copy to turn the disc into a ISO file with no copy protection.   Whilst that works well enough in Lion on my older machine?   The software crashes under High Sierra.

†        Foot dragging?   Sounds like you’ve got zombie house buyers, there, Olga!   At ANY rate … ? Tommy Cooper’s death was sad: but it’s not something I expected, or wanted, to see on YouTube!   (Getting suspended from the Commonwealth’s quite serious.   Everyone sends you to Coventry, and you don’t invited to the posh parties.   On a more serious note?   I believe commonwealth countries get good trade deals with the UK, and each other: they get put on hold if you’re suspended.)

‡        I don’t know, Debbi: I always think people going through cancer could well be inspiring to hear from.   But, yeah, I don’t think I’d want to see they deaths on YouTube, either.   (Don’t know, there, Debbi: I’m thinking you could possibly contribute something … !)

1 comment:

Olga said...

Q1) Romani (operetta, it seems)
Q2) Warrington
Q3) AIDS
Q4) Channel 4
Q5) Amsterdam