Monday 29 June 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 29-6-2020: Docking Stations

29th June, 2020.


Yes: it’s Monday.

And yes, I am knackered … !

Frankly?

I’m blaming late night episode of Penny Dreadful: City of Angels.

Saying that … ?   And I’ve only been saying this for the past ten weeks?

One?   The show’s fantastic.

Two … ?   Natalie Dormer’s worked her rear off.

Three …  … ?   Nathan Lane’s the star of the show.

Whether there’s a second series, I don’t know.

But the producers will have to work, to match this … 


~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring ten out of ten.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 29th June, 1995, saw NASA’s Space Shuttle dock with Russia’s one space station.   Which Shuttle?
Q2) Which Russian space station?
Q3) NASA was which country’s space agency?
Q4) What’s Russia’s Space agency?
Q5) Finally?   Was this the first, second or third  time the shuttle had docked with the station?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 28th June, 2018, saw the death of Harlan Ellison.   He was the editor of a 1967 short story collection, called Dangerous what?
Q2) He was born in which year of the 1930s?
A2) 1934.
Q3) When Ellison wanted to take his name off of a TV script, he’s call himself ‘Cordwainer’ … what?
A3) Cordwainer Bird.
Q4) He didn’t use the pseudonym on the one script he wrote Star Trek he wrote: a script that got extensively re-written.   That script was for which episode … ?
Q5) Ellison’s first novel was originally published as Rumble.   But is better known as Web of thewhat: Spider, City or Creature?
A5) Web of theCity.
Q6) Soldier was a Harlan Ellison episode of which series: The Twilight Zone, Star Trek or The Outer Limits?
Q7) The other episode he wrote for the series?   Was called Demon with a Glasswhat
A7) Demon with a Glass Hand.
Q8) The Hugo Awards are handed out at the World Science Fiction Convention.   Not counting film or TV scripts — Harlan won two ‘Best Dramatic Presentation Hugos’ — how many Hugos has Harlan won?
A8) Eight.   (For ‘Repent Harlequin,’ Said the Ticktock Man, I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream, Dangerous Visions, The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World, The Death Bird, Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans: Latitude 38° 54' N, Longitude 77° 00’ 13” W, Jeffty is Five and Paladin of the Lost Hour.   It could also be seven or nine: depending on if you include Again, Dangerous Visions or exclude Dangerous Visions.   Now about the length of those titles … )
Q9) Vic and his dog, Blood, appear in a set of Ellison stories collectively called what?
A9) A Boy and his Dog.   The set was also published as a fix-up novel called Blood’s a Rover.   (A Boy and his Dog is said to have influenced the Fallout game franchise.)
Q10) Finally … ?   Blood’s a Rover, the last Ellison novel published during his lifetime, was published in which year?
A10) 2018: some ten days before his death.
Here’s here’s an idea for low Earth orbit docking manoeuvres …
“Docking occurred at 9 a.m. EDT, June 29, using R-Bar or Earth radius vector approach, with Atlantis closing in on Mir from directly below.”
From NASA’s archived page on the mission.
And some footage …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Now, that’s not it, Olga‡ … Drat!   I think I’m going to have to look on BBC Sounds, they did a a thing about it … I think … !   That’s going to annoy me, now!
At ANY rate … ?   Thanking you for the best wishes.   I’m going to have to get a move on, as I’ve got to get the videos done … but hopefully … !
And you’re right: there’s always that one place we miss … 

†        You’re right, Debbi‡, sometimes ten’s not enough!   How I manage to stop amazes me.   Oh, I caught the last Penny Dreadful, last night.   Wow!

‡        The amount of gongs Harlan got?   Is a point of contention, I think.   Either way?   I’ve added my name to the talk section … 

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Atlantis
Q2) Mir (I always had an ambivalent feeling about that space station and the expeditions because of its name. In Spain, MIR was the exam we, doctors, had to take in order to be able to carry on our specialization and become MIR doctors (medico interno residente). I never managed to pass the exam, which only took place once a year, and where there wasn’t a pass mark as such. It rather depended on how many people took the exam and how many posts there were. That was, in part, why I decided to move to England).
Q3) The United States
Q4) The Roscosmos State Corporation for Space Activities, commonly known as Roscosmos (I quite like the name).
Q5) The first.
Don’t worry about the house, although if you find out, let me know. I’ve also seen one can visit Ruskin’s House in Coniston. A lovely place. I particularly like Keswick. Not as busy as Windermere (although Rose Cottage of Wordsworth’s fame is well-worth a visit. I was fascinated by his sister’s notes and comments). Oh, on the subject of today’s teaser, I wonder if you’ve ever watched this movie. I saw it on the telly here not long ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salyut_7_(film)#
It seems it stretches things a bit, but it is not a too inaccurate picture of what happened.

Debbi said...

I can't wait to watch all of it! :)

1. Atlantis
2. Mir
3. the USA
4. Roscosmos
5. first