Wednesday 21 February 2024

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 21-2-2024 — International Mother Language Day

21st February, 2024: International Mother Language Day.


It’s officially official: I’ve had to turn the tumble dryer off.

No, before you ask, there’s nothing wrong with it!

What actually happened … ?

Was that I had to fish out the tape measure that got in there.

Can someone remind me to put things like that in a drawer?

Cheers!

~≈Ç≈~

Did I tell you my street’s had a new broadband cabinet put in?

My street’s just had a new broadband cabinet put in: in case you didn’t know.

With the net result that:
  • Most buildings in the area have workmen putting additional connections in.
  • We’ve had at least one wandering salesman knock on our doors.
I had one banging on my door, the other day.

Apparently, his company’s basic package costs twenty-five pounds a month.

Five pounds more than I’m paying.

He didn’t get a sale … … 

~≈Ç≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.


Q1)        According to the UN, 21st February is International Mother Language Day.   Name any one of the UN’s six official languages.

Q2)        More to the point, and according to Wikipedia, which of those languages is spoken in fifty-eight countries?

Q3)        Equally to the point, which of those languages is written with in a right to left abjad?

Q4)        The UN uses a version of Chinese in ‘simplified Chinese characters’.   The People’s Republic of China tells us there are how many of these characters: 8,105, 8,205 or 8,305?

Q5)        Finally … ?   One of these languages is written in the Cyrillic Script.   Which language?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …


Q1)        Rihanna was born on 20th February.   Of which year of the 1980s?
A1)        1988.

Q2)        In which Caribbean nation?
A2)        Barbados.

Q3)        Her first album, Music of the Sun, was released in which year: 2005, 2006 or 2007?
A3)        2005.

Q4)        Her first hit single, “Pon de Replay”, was released in which year: 2004, 2005 or 2006?
A4)        2005.   (The title is a Barbadian phrase that means “Play it again”.   As this was the second set I’ve done about Rihanna, it seemed an appropriate to pinch.)

Q5)        Finally … ?   Rihanna song, “Diamonds”, was released in which year: 2011, 2012 or 2013?
A5)        2012.

Here’s a quotation …
“International Mother Language Day is a worldwide annual observance held on 21 February to promote awareness of linguistic and cultural diversity and to promote multilingualism.”
From the Wikipedia entry on the day.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        Hello, Mum!   (Will you be picking Jude up at seven?)

        She will, I think, Debbi: she’s been messaging me on Twitter.   (Olga’s had to get hold of the keys to the roof: there’s a bit of kit up there, the repairmen needs to access.   It sounds like she had a job and a half getting hold of them!)
        Oh, technology!   Tell me about technology, Debbi!   (I’m not going to mention the Great Collapsing Mac Disaster!)

3 comments:

Mum said...

1 English
2 English
3 Chinese
4 8, 205
5 Russian

Olga said...

Hi, Paul! It seems to be eventually sorted. It seems that somebody was getting connected on Monday, and, what did they do? You've guessed it! disconnect my internet!
So, it wasn't very complicated, but it was a pain in the ass to get sorted because of all the comings and goings. I guess I have a new router, and it is a different type to the previous one, although now I'm having to go around and reconnect everything again. I hope tomorrow I'll have a bit of time and will join the teaser (fingers crossed!) although I had to rearrange a meeting with a friend for tomorrow, due to having to wait for the technician (who was pretty good at coming earlier and checking that I was here, it must be said), and have to cover a radio event in the afternoon...
Oh well

Debbi said...

Yikes! Good to see you back, Olga! Jeez!

1. French
2. English
3. Arabic
4. 8,105
5. Russian