27th July, 2026.“Open Source”.The Introduction.
OK: it’s Monday night … and … ?
I’m filling in time, in a way.
I’ve started For All Mankind’s fifth season, a few weeks ago: and enjoying it, so far.
But … ?
I’d like to get this review done by Wednesday … but very aware I’ll be looking after my nephew, that day … so I’m getting started early.
Hopefully?
I’ll have this done by Friday: and I can let you know what I though of the episode …
28th July, 2026.Part One.The Summary.
Episode 4 — “Open Source” — opens with the sight of Alex Baldwin (Sean Kaufman), going through mementos of his now-dead grandfather, Ed: as his mother, Kelly (Cynthy Wu), looks on.
Alex is telling his mother that Ed had read the The Sand Pebbles to him, as a child: when the pair are interrupted by Lily (Ruby Cruz), who has brought interesting news.
The folk of Happy Valley have built a memorial to Ed: Lily wanted the pair to see it.
After the credits?
After the credits, the scene shifts back to Earth: where we find Avery Jarrett, granddaughter of Gordo Stevens, and daughter of the troubled Danny Stevens, is a Marine …
A marine who’s being interviewed for membership of an elite, lunar force: and not enjoying the gruelling process.
The questions are a touch too invasive for a daughter who was closer to her stepfather, than to her biological dad.
Meanwhile?
We see Alex start work at his new job: at Helios’ Martian offices: where, unknown to his new boss, Dev Ayesha (Edi Gathegi), Alex is keen to prove himself, is curious about things he shouldn’t be curious about … and wondering why a file that could be useful is hidden in an inaccessible part of the Helios systems.
It’s only once he’s figured out how to access his immediate boss’s computer … that Alex is almost caught by Aleida Rosales (Coral Peña), as he is up to no good.
~≈🪐≈~
Part Two.Plot Points.
OK … I usually try to tell you a few basic thoughts about the episode … but, because I recognised the title, I thought I should explain the term.
Which is doing to involve giving away the climax.
You see, by the end of the episode, Alex has stolen a file that tells us what Helios and Kuragin are planning to to do with the people of Mars: once the two companies have automated the iridium mining processes, they’ll be shipping the population of Mars back to Earth.
So Alex, in an effort to stop this, makes the file public: makes it open source, in other words, available to anyone.
The phrase, ‘open source’? Is being used to describe what’s called ‘open source intelligence’: information that is easily available to the public.
Although I first heard the term applied to software: to open source operating systems like Linux, browsers like Firefox, or media players like vlc.
Software with source code that could be freely viewed by anyone who wanted to look at it, in others words.
As trivial as it seems?
I’m glad to have recognised the title: and how applicable it was to the plot!
~≈🪐≈~
Part Three.A Problem.
One thing I will tell you, now?
Is that this is a very enjoyable episode: it opens with sadness, but shows us Alex taking positive action to improve himself: and the lives of the people of Mars.
But … ?
I see a fly in the ointment.
At one stage we see Alex accessing his line manager’s computer: and copying incriminating data from it.
Right in front of an unknowing Aleida, I should add.
What got me … ?
Is that Alex was in the Helios office, after hours: trying to look keen.
It hit me, after I’d finished the episode … that the office Alex was in, had a lot of Macs: not an issue for me.
What was?
Was that Alex’s fellow workers had left work, without logging out of their user accounts, nor having turned off their computers.
They left the company systems open, in other words: for someone to walk in, and access any file on company systems.
From what I’ve understood of most work places?
Leaving a computer on, and logged into a user account, like that, is a big security risk: a risk that would see the person taking it getting shown the front door.
Yes: it let’s Alex steal the data needed to drive the plot … but yes, it’s a mistake that looks unrealistic.
~≈🪐≈~
30th July, 2026.Part Four.Finally.
So … what did I make of this fourth episode, of “Open Source”?
I thoroughly enjoyed it.
We’re getting to see Aleida from Alex’s point of view: as a senior Helios figure to be wary of, rather than the feisty young woman she’d been in earlier series.
We’re introduced to new character, Avery: the way Ines Asserson plays Avery reminds me of both Danny and Gordo Stevens, her father and grandfather.
There’s one scene, where Avery visits Danielle Poole (Krys Marshall): driving a motorbike at breakneck speed in a way that remind me of Gordo Stevens’s (Michael Dorman) handling of a car, in series one and two.
I was sitting there, watching that scene, and thinking “Yep: she’s a Stevens!”
So the character is good mix of writing, casting, and performing.
And we’re getting to see both the human drama I expect from this fifth series: and, in the shape of the big reveal at the end of the episode?
We’re getting the big political drama.
About my only complaint?
Is the one I’ve already mentioned.
The reason Alex was steal an important file, was the result of stupidity: on the part of this episode’s writers, rather than the characters.
The writer has shown us Alex stealing a file from an active computer: not as a result of skill, but as a result of ignorance.
Yes: I’m going to be watching the fifth episode, “ Svoboda”, next week.
I’m going to be hoping no-one else makes the same sort of mistake …
“Open Source”★★☆☆
~≈🪐≈~
Part Five.Last Words.
With all that said?
That’s where I’m going to be leaving things for now.
At least, until next Tuesday: when I’ll be watching “Svoboda”, the next episode of For All Mankind.
Feel free to subscribe to my YouTube channel, feel free to tip …
And hopefully, if you’ve enjoyed what I’m doing … ?
You’ll be back next week!
Have a good week!
No comments:
Post a Comment