Saturday 20 October 2012

Merlin Series 5 Episode 3: The Death Song Of Uther Pendragon

You know, I have to admit, I know there’s a reason I like Macs.

Part of it ... ?

Is the keyboard.

At least the desktop ones.

It’s a much nicer layout: and certainly bigger on those aluminium ones.

Now, you’re probably wondering why I’m burbling on about keyboards, aren't you ... ?   To be perfectly frank, I’m on babysitting duty, tonight: over at my mum’s place.

Right at the moment, I'm sat next to my nephew, Jude: who’s happily asleep … and snoring, I should add.

I’ll confess, he’s happily slept through tonight’s episode of Merlin, The Death Song Of Uther Pendragon.

AND through his uncle's fervent cussing at the unholy mess of a borrowed laptop keyboard*^.

««·»»

At ANY rate ... ?

At any rate, I've managed to catch tonight's episode of Merlin over at my mother's place.

The Death Song Of Uther Pendragon sees Arthur given the custody of an intensely magical item call the Horn Of Cathbad. 

The horn’s sole purpose … ?

Is to summon the spirits of the dead, so that the living may talk with them.

The flaws to that are the ones that Arthur finds out about, during the course of tonight’s episode.

As you might just have guessed, Arthur can’t resist summoning up the ghost of his father, Uther.

Only to find Uther doesn’t approve of what’s been happening while he’s been dead.

And that sometimes … the dead are harder to banish, than call.

««·»»

Now … 

Hmmm … !

And that’s an impressedHmmm … !
’ I should add, in case a Certain Grub’s reading this.

So far, season 5 of Merlin is three episodes in, and I have to admit to STILL thinking it’s knocking out some impressive stuff.

After all, tonight’s episode — much the Christopher Ecclestone episode of Dr Who, Father’s Day — forces its central character’s to examine their relationship with such a central figure.

Bradley James’ Arthur in particular: after all, this episode sees his face doing half of the actual acting work.


And I should also give Colin Morgan equal plaudits, there: especially in this scene.


On the whole … ?

After just three episodes, I’m thoroughly enjoying this series of Merlin



































*        I’m sorry, but pressing shift and 2 is the WRONG way of accessing the quote marks: it’s MUCH more logical to press shift and apostrophe.

^        I can only refer my honourable reader to the video I offer, below ... 

No comments: