Sunday, 29 September 2013

The Daily Teaser — 29-9-2013: Coffee Day … !

Hmmm … 

Well, that seemed OK … 

I have to admit, I actually made a point of watching TV, last night: Aunty Beeb debuted their new fantasy series, Atlantis.

I enjoyed it, to be frank: even though a) it does seem a hodge-podge of Greek myths and b) there’s no Katie McGrath!

What’s going on, there, then … ?

Honestly … !

~≈Î≈~

Let’s (rapidly) move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: along with asking about the word ‘overbearing*’, she ALSO managed to score five out of five.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s coffee themed questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To,’ License and video … 

Q1) 29th September is — apparently — Coffee Day.   Name either of the two most common form of coffee bean.
Q2) What’s the main stimulant ingredient in coffee?
Q3) Which drink generally has more of that stimulant: tea or coffee … ?
Q4) What — after being eaten by civet cats in Indonesia — is reputedly the world’s most expensive coffee … ?
Q5) Which chain of coffee shops was founded by Jerry Baldwin, Gordon Bowker and Zev Siegl … ?
Q6) According to website, ChartsBin, one European nation holds the world record for drinking the most coffee, per head: which nation?
Q7) Coffee — and other products — that are sold or marketed with a view to giving more profits to the coffee-bean growers, are usually marketed how: fair-trade, organic or tubular … ?
Q8) Finally … which English city was the first to see a coffee-house open … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 28th September is World Rabies Day.   In which year of the 1880s did Louis Pasteur and Pierre Paul Émile Roux develop a Rabies vaccine … ?
A1) 1885.
Q2) 28th September, 1995, saw Israeli and Palestinian leaders agree to Palestinian self-rule: where … ?
A2) The West Bank.
Q3) 28th September, 1928, saw the UK government ban Cannabis.   What’s the name of the fibre made from the cannabis plant … ? 
A3) Hemp.
Q4) That same day — 28th September, 1928 — saw Sir Alexander Fleming  notice some mould growing in his lab.   What was the name of the antibiotic he developed from that mould … ?
A4) Penicillin.
Q5) Finally … 28th September, 1961, saw a coup that brought down the United Arab Republic.   Name either of the countries that made up the United Arab Republic …
A5) Egypt and Syria.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems.”
Alfréd Rényi (20 March 1921 – 1 February 1970)
And with Black Coffee by Ella Fitzgerald … 


















*        You’d (possibly) be surprised, Debbi … !   (I met quite a few fellow Prisoner fans, when I joined 6o1, a few years ago: very civilised bunch, and possibly the most intellectual group of fans I’ve come across.   Dr Who fans … ?   We’re notoriously vocal, — murderously so — when we come across something we don’t like )

1 comment:

  1. Well, the world could use more Prisoner fans and Who fans, in my opinion. But that's my opinion! :)

    1. arabica and robusta
    2. caffeine
    3. tea
    4. Kopi Luwak
    5. Starbucks
    6. Finland
    7. fair-trade
    8. Oxford

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.