Tuesday 8 July 2014

The Daily Teaser — 8-7-2014: The Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Another morning, another day.

And, yes: I’m waiting for money to turn up.

As you may or may not know, I’ve received a sanction on my benefits: for some I feel was beyond my control, and something I’m appealing against.

I’ve ALSO had news about my Hardship fund application.

I’m due 60 percent of my usual benefit … Starting a fortnight from now.

’Til then … ?

Lord knows what I’m supposed to do.

Ho-hum!

~≈‰≈~
But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: and scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s rather Canadian questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 8th July, 1874, saw members of what’s now the Royal Canadian Mounted Police begin their March West.   To what’s now which Canadian province?
Q2) From which province did the force start … ?
Q3) What was the force called, at the time: the North-West Mounted Police, the North-East Mounted Police or the South-West Mounted Police … ?
Q4) The modern Royal Canadian Mounted Police are better known how: Mounties, Montys or Manatees?
Q5) What’s most junior rank of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police?
Q6) What’s the highest?
Q7) The RCMP are a gendarmerie.   Basically, they’re what, acting as police: soldiers, sailors or pilots?
Q8) What colour are the jackets in RCMP dress uniforms?
Q9) Constable Benton Fraser, and his wolf, Diefenbaker, appeared in which 90s TV series?
Q10) Finally … what, according to the old saying, do the RCMP always get?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 7th July, 2013, saw the death of actress, Anna Wing.   Which character had she played for many years, in EastEnders … ?
A1) Lou Beale.
Q2) 7th July, 1947, saw an alien spaceship supposedly crash in the US town of Roswell.   In which US state is Roswell?
Q3) 7th July, 1954, saw who make their radio debut: with the song, That’s All Right … ?
Q4) 7th July, 1944 saw — during World War 2 — the largest charge by Japanese infantry: during the Battle of Saipan.   The Japanese called these attacks Banzai charges: from a Japanese phrase that meant ‘long life to’ whom … ?
A4) The Emperor.
Q5) Finally … 7th July, 1953, saw which famous revolutionary start on a noted motorbike trip around South America … ?
A5) Ernesto Che Guevara.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“Maintiens le droit”
(Defending The Law)
Motto from the RCMP Coat Of Arms.
And the one song I could find with lots of singing policemen … 


Ahem … !










*        You know, you not the only woman I know that’s said that Debbi: I’ve a friend that keeps making phwoar whenever his name gets a mention.   (Can’t see the appeal, meself … !)   At ANY rate, I’m sad to see him go: but looking forward to seeing Peter Capaldi at work.   Especially as I felt he was the best thing in Torchwood: Children of Earth.   (Actually, did the BBC’s version of Musketeers make it to BBC America?   His performance as Cardinal Richelieu was riveting: and his appearance in The Thick Of It is supposed to be a highlight of the series.)

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Yes, the series is here, but I haven't seen it. I probably should.

1. Alberta
2. Manitoba
3. North-West Mounted Police
4. Mounties
5. students
6. Commissioner
7. soldiers
8. red
9. Due South
10. their man