Thursday 28 August 2014

The Daily Teaser — 28-8-2014: Dr Martin Luther King

You know, I think I have a long day.

Well, ok: as long as it’s possible to get whilst out of a job.

I’ve got my usual job-hunting to do today.

Two hours of it, in fact, at my local Job Centre.

Which, it has to be said, is kind nice.   It gets me out of the house, and allows me to concentrate on the task in hand.

That’s at 2, this afternoon.

Of course, before  then … ?   Before then, I’m going to be stuck indoors, waiting for a plumber to turn up.

To fix the u-bend under the sink.

Fun in the sun has never sounded more interesting, has it … ?

~≈Ï≈~
But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: and bagging five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 28th August, 1963, saw Dr Martin Luther King make one of his most famous speeches: in which he said he had a … what … ?
Q2) Dr King gave the speech on the steps of which memorial?
Q3) In which US city is that Memorial?
Q4) Dr King famously opened the speech with a reference to which US president … ?
Q5) In the speech, Dr King said that “Every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain be made” … what … ?
Q6) Martin Luther King was — obviously — a doctor.   Of what … ?
Q7) Which Indian leader was an inspiration for Dr King … ?
Q8) The American Civil Rights Movement, in which Dr King was prominent, got kickstarted when who famously refused to sit at the back of a bus … ?
Q9) The day before his assassination, Dr King delivered his equally famed ‘I Have Been To The Mountaintop’ sermon, the last speech of any kind he made.   In which US city did he make deliver it?
Q10) Finally … Dr King closed the speech with the line ‘Thank God Almighty, we are’ … what … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 27th August, 1969, saw the birth of writer, Reece Shearsmith.   Shearsmith worked with Steve Pemberton, Mark Gatiss and Jeremy Dyson, on which comedy series?
Q2) 27th August, 1991, saw Moldova become independent of the USSR.   What’s the capital city of Moldova?
Q3) 27th August, 2013, saw riots break out, between Hindu and Muslim: in a district of which Indian state?
Q4) 27th August, 1916, saw which East European country declare war on the Austro-Hungarian Empire: Albania, Bulgaria or Romania?
A4) Romania.
Q5) Finally … 27th August, 1776 saw American forces defeated by the British: at the Battle of Long Island.   Who was the American general in charge of those forces … ?
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“Well, I don’t know what will happen now. We’ve got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn’t matter with me now. Because I’ve been to the mountaintop.”
From Dr King’s last public speech, on 3rd April, 1968.
And this sone, written by Public Enemy as a nod to the Man, Himself … 


Enjoy your day.












*        I know what you mean, Debbi: I think I’ve got exactly that ahead of me!   Well … that and a u-bend repair … 

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Good luck with that!

1. dream
2. the Lincoln Memorial
3. Washington, DC
4. Kennedy
5. low
6. systemic theology
7. Ghandi
8. Rosa Parks
9. Memphis
10. free at last