Sunday 17 August 2014

The Daily Teaser — 17-8-2014

Sunday … 

I have to admit, the past couple of Sundays have been day’s I’ve found unnerving.

Mostly, I think, as a result of a lack of something to do.

Hopefully … ?

Hopefully, that’s something I can remedy, today.

If nothing else, I’ve just enough cash to get myself a loaf, in town.

Not much, I know.

But at least I can get out of the house … 

~≈¥≈~
But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: and scoring five out of six.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s Teaser, shall we?

Here it is, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 17th August is the ancient Roman feast day, of Portumnalia.   The day celebrates Portunes, the Roman god of what: doors, stairs or roofs … ?
Q2) 17th August, 1771, saw Edinburgh botanist, James Roberts, become the first person to ascend which mountain: Everest, Monte Rosa or Ben Nevis?
Q3) 17th August, 1982, saw the first commercial CD released: in Germany.   The CD featured a collection of waltzes.   By whom: Frederick Chopin, Fernando Sor or Ludwig van Beethoven?
Q4) 17th August, 2008, saw Michael Phelps become the first person to win eight gold medals at one Olympic Games.   What was his sport: Marathon racing, swimming or canoeing … ?
Q5) Finally … Who — born 17th August, 1893 — said “I believe in censorship: I’ve made a fortune from it” … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 16th August, 1974, saw which band make their début, at CBGBs?
A1) The Ramones.
Q2) The band’s original drummer died, this year: who was he … ?
Q3) 16th August, 1944, saw the first flight of the Junkers Ju 287.   The Ju 278 was a test bed what: jet plane, ballistic missile or atom bomb?
A3) Jet plane.   (Apparently, it’s what’s called a test bed: the test model that comes before a prototype.)
Q4) 16th August, 1930, saw the release of Fiddlesticks: the first cartoon with sound, and in colour.   Its creator, Ub Iwerks, famously went on to work for who … ?
A4) Disney.
Q5) 16th August, 1940, saw the birth of journalist, John Craven.   Which children’s news show did he present?
A5) Newsround.   (The show took the view that the children watching it weren’t stupid, just young.   It might not show the REALLY grisly footage: but tried to present news in as non-condescending a way as possible.   It works, too: and, even now, still does a better job of explaining a news piece than adult news shows.)
Q6) Finally … 16th August, 1933, saw the birth of actress, Julie Newmar.   She, Eartha Kitt and Lee Merriweather all played which Batman villain?
A6) Catwoman.
I’ll leave you with this tune … 


And this thought …
“Everybody is interesting for an hour, but few people can last more than two.”
Vidiadhar Surajprasad Naipaul, born 17th August, 1932.
Have a good day.










*        Oh, THAT it is, Debbi!   (Oh, talking of film?   Did you ever catch One Hour Photo?   I’m trying to work out which was more unnerving: the flying monkeys in The Wizard Of Oz, or Robin Williams in One Hour Photo.   Think I’ve tweeted you the link to my write up: but here it is, again, just in case … !)

2 comments:

Debbi said...

I haven't seen it, but I should.

1. doors
2. Ben Nevis (I think you meant James Robertson, right?)
3. Frederick Chopin
4. swimmer
5. Mae West

Nik Nak said...

You’re right, Debbi: I meant Robertson … !

I’ve managed to correct my questions and answers.