Friday 2 December 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 2-11-2016

Did you ever hear the late Sir Terry Pratchett refer to Alzheimer’s Disease — the condition he suffered with towards the end of his life — as ‘the embuggerence’?

I can’t say I’d blame him for digging up the old military term: it seems designed to describe the disease.

It took his life in 2015: and I, as many other, were heart-broken by the death of a man we’d never meet.

The reason I mention this, today … ?

Is that the condition’s taken another much loved star.

It’s been announced that 23rd December, 2016, saw the death of Andrew Sachs: best remembered for his role as Manuel, in Fawlty Towers.

But someone I remember as Toliver Groat: in the Sky TV version of Sir Terry’s Going Postal.

I think … well … 

I think the world’s a littler sadder, today … 

~≈Ê≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 2nd December, 1977, saw South African police cleared of the death of whom?
Q2) 2nd December, 1962, saw Senator Mike Mansfield make a report to President John F. Kennedy.   In so doing, the Senator was the first person to criticize what: the Cold War, the Vietnam War or the Gulf War?
Q3) The Sino-American Defense Treaty was signed: on 2nd December, 1954.   The Treaty was signed between the USA: and whom?
Q4) Nick Leeson was jailed on 2nd December, 1995: after causing the collapse of Barings Bank.   What was the name of the Ewan McGregor film about his career?
Q5) Finally … Who became President of Cuba, on 2nd December, 1976?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 1st December is World AIDS Day.   The condition was first observed in which year: 1980, 1981 or 1982?
A1) 1981.
Q2) 1st December saw Rosa Parks arrested for not giving up her seat on the bus: kick-starting the Civil Rights Movement in the process.   In which year was this?
A2) 1955.
Q3) Papua New Guinea became self-governing: on 1st December, 1973.   The nation is in which ocean?
A3) The Pacific.
Q4) The Antarctic Treaty was signed on 1st December, 1959.   The agreement banned what, on the world’s most southern continent: espionage, military activity or cheese-making?
A4) Military activity.   (You’re legally allowed to make cheese in the Antarctic.   How long it’ll be, before it freezes, though … )
Q5) Finally … 1st December is the feast day of Saint Eligius.   He’s the patron saint of what: snooker players, footballers or jockeys?
A5) Jockeys.
I’ll leave you with this …
“I remember attaching a wire clothing hanger to the antenna of my radio in my bedroom, so I could get the frequency and get that station and listen to the top 10 every night.”
Nelly Furtado, born 2nd December, 1978.
And this … 



Enjoy your day … 






*      I know what you mean, Olga!   I’ve not enough time, and too much TV!   I’m just frustrated I can’t binge watch Class … !   (I forgot to mention, I’ve got series one of Stranger Things lined up …)

†        I can only hope it helps, Debbi!   I do know I’ve spoken to people who’ve used it to give up smoking: apparently you have to rub your ear, when you get the craving.   (Oh … According to the relevant Wikipedia page, some people have had success in giving up tobacco, by take psilocybin: from magic mushrooms.   The mind boggles … )

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Steve Biko
Q2) The Vietnam War
Q3) Taiwan
Q4) Rogue Trader
Q5) Fidel Castro
Something else I'll have to check. I had watched the first couple of episodes of the second series of Lucifer as I left (and had managed to watch the new The Falling and the X-Files I'd missed)...
In honour of Andrew Sachs (sad news). I'm from Barcelona. I know nothing. (That in my case is true, and has always served me very well in the UK).

Debbi said...

Indeed the mind does boggle. :)

1. Steve Biko
2. the Vietnam War
3. China
4. Rogue Trader
5. Fidel Castro

I just read that coffee is supposed to help prevent Alzheimer's. Such a shame about Pratchett. Probably a tea drinker. :)