Saturday 4 January 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 4-1-2020: Utah Saints.

4th January, 2020.


I have to admit, I am starting to hate weekends.

Or, at least, got mildly glum about them.

It’s …

You know, I don’t even know if I could put a finger on why …

Bar the finger twiddling feeling there’s little to do, bar finger twiddling.

But, lord, I’m looking forward to Monday morning.

That’s when the date and time of my next interview gets confirmed.


~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring ten out of ten.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) Utah was admitted to the USA: on 4th January of which year?
Q2) Was it the 44th, 45th or 46th state so admitted?
Q3) Utah was originally settled by members of Utah’s best known religion.   What did they call it?
Q4) Which M is that religion?
Q5) What’s Utah’s capital?
Q6) Utah is one of the Four Corners states.   Name one of the other three.
Q7) The state’s supposedly named after which Native American tribe?
Q8) 2001: A Space Odyssey, Fort Apache and 127 Hours have all been completely or partially filmed in which Utah valley?
Q9) Which Sherlock Holmes novel is set partially in Utah?
Q10) Finally … ?   Utah is one of seventeen US states that control the sale of what: cannabis, alcohol or aspirin?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) The Hamilton Electric Watch Company introduced the world’s first electric watch: on the 3rd January of which year?
A1) 1957.
Q2) The watch in question was the Hamilton 500.   Usually worn, where?
A2) The wrists.
Q3) That electrical watch was powered by a … what?
A3) A battery.
Q4) Open faced watches, and hunter watches, are the two main types of a what watch?
A4) Pocket watches.
Q5) A watch that displays the time — and that ALSO can be used as a stopwatch — as known as which C?
A5) A chronograph.
Q6) Watches that keep time using crystallised SiO4, are what watches?
A6) Quartz watches.
Q7) A watch is worn, or carried.   What sort of time piece, isn’t … ?
A7) A clock.
Q8) A clepsydrae is a what?
A8) A water clock.
Q9) LED and LCD watches were the first to be known as what?
A9) Digital watches.
Q10) Finally … ?   The study of timepieces is known as which ‘H’?
A10) Horology.
Here’s a thought …
“Utah will yet become the treasure-house of the nation.”
Abraham Lincoln.
And a song‡ …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Oh, I’m always trying to find things to do, Olga!   I’d go bonkers if I didn’t!   I have to admit, I’ve never seen much about Shackleton: although he’s something of a national hero.   I might just have to look that documentary up.   That or the Kenneth Branagh documentary: that was very respected.   Saying that … ?   I’m going to finish Dracula, first.   Sister Agatha is something else!

†        Play fair, Debbi … but Dalí didn’t actually say anything about clocks: I’d’ve quoted him!   Saying that, I might just have to see what I can do!   (Apparently?   He got the idea for the pocket watches after a Camembert wheel he got, melted.).  Glad to hear the episode went done well!   Did I show you my video review?   I think I’m getting the hang of them.   (I’ve not done any for Dracula: although it’s very worth while.   And Sister Agatha’s the best thing in the first episode!)


‡        The Utah Saints, themselves?   Are from Leeds.

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1896
Q2) 45th
Q3) Deseret
Q4) Mormon Church (or Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church)
Q5) Salt Lake City
Q6) Arizona
Q7) The Ute tribe
Q8) Monument Valley (I haven’t been there, but I visited Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon a few years back, and they are both well-worth a visit).
Q9) A Study in Scarlet
Q10) Alcohol
Well, I'll have to keep my eyes open for Dracula, although I take your point about the length... As for weekends... I'm sure you've done it before, or perhaps there are no opportunities close by, but perhaps volunteering might be an option. You have plenty of skills and the need seems to be increasing. I hope you have good news about the interview.

David said...

1. January 4th, 1896
2. 45th
3. The State of Deseret
4. Mormons
5. Salt Lake City
6. New Mexico
7. Ute
8. Monument Valley
9. A Study in Scarlet
10. Alcohol

Debbi said...

Impressive background! Nice! :)

1. 1896
2. 45th
3. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
4. Mormon
5. Salt Lake City
6. Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado (take your pick! :))
7. the Utes
8. Monument Valley
9. A Study in Scarlet
10. alcohol

Good review! Definitely liked this one. I loved the bits and bobs about Unit (nice throwback!) and ... well, the Master!

I think my first hint that something was off about O (it was O, right?) was the way he repelled the aliens with that shock to them outside his place after he had guards out there trying to fight something they couldn't defeat.

I thought, "Why didn't he have them come inside, if he could do that?" Turns out, he's not very nice. :)