Sunday, 13 September 2026

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 13-9-2026 — The Famine

13th September, 2026: The Famine/An Gorta Mór.

You know, the 47th US president is an [Insert Insult, Here].

And one I think is an insufferable, interfering twit, who’s only in it for the votes.

The Irish American ones, specifically.

Yesterday, and today, he’s been visited the Irish Republic: and gone on the record to say he thinks a united Ireland would be a good thing.

In an attempt, I believe, to grab the Irish-American vote in the up-coming mid-term elections.

I’m no Unionist: but would prefer to die in the country I was born in.

So see it as blatant interference with decisions that are none of his business: nor the business of the USA.

It’s for the people of Northern Ireland, if not everyone on the island of Ireland, to decide that.

~≈🤡≈~

In slightly cheerier news … ?

I’ve finally finished season five of For All Mankind: and post my reviews of the last episode.


Feel free to head for Youtube and hit the like button … !

~≈▶️≈~
Let’s move on.

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Irene† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Irene and Debbi scoring seven out of seven, and Mum on five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        The first reports of the Famine were made: on 13th September.   Of which year: 1843, 1845 or 1847?

Q2)        The Famine affected which country of the UK: England, Ireland, Scotland or Wales?

Q3)        The Famine was caused by a disease that hit what: carrots, potatoes or turnips?

Q4)        Many emigrated as a result of the Famine.   To where: the USA, South Africa or Thailand?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The Famine’s called An Gorta Mór in the local language.   The phrase’s translate’s into English as ‘the Great’ … what: Hunger, Death or Spud?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Sir Ian Holm was born on 12th September.   Of which year of the 1930s?
A1)        1931.

Q2)        He died in which year of the 2020s?
A2)        2020.

Q3)        He played a character in Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings movies.   Which character?
A3)        Bilbo Baggins.   DAMN: I’ve got an earworm!

Q4)        Sir Ian plays Ash: in which 1979 movie?
A4)        Alien.

Q5)        Sir Ian played Napoleon ins three different films.   1974’s Napoleon and Love was the first, 1981’s Time Bandits was the second.   What, in 2001, was the third?
A5)        The Emperor’s New Clothes.


Q6)        Sir Ian played Francis Willis in 1994’s The Madness of King George.   Who played King George, in The Madness of King George?
A6)        The late, great, Nigel Hawthorne.

Q7)        Finally … ?   Sir Ian played Desmond Cussen in 1985’s Dance with a Stranger.   The film is about the last woman to be hanged in the UK.   Who was that woman?
A7)        Ruth Ellis.
Here’s a thought …
“Debate exists regarding nomenclature for the event, including whether to use the terms ‘Famine’, ‘Potato Famine’ or ‘Great Hunger’.”
From the Wikipedia entry on the Famine.
And a video …


The next ten question set is on 9th October: it’s about The Nightmare Before Christmas.

The next twelve question set is on 16th October: it’s about The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Your comments, and today’s answers, will be published in tomorrow’s Teaser.

AI is avoided when writing these questions.

Answers are as accurate as possible: at the time of writing.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Hello, Mum!   (He was born in 1931, Mum, rather than 1941.   The film was The Emperor’s New Clothes.)

        Seven out of seven, there, Irene: well done … !

        I’ll try my best to, Debbi … !

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.