Sunday, 3 June 2012

The Daily Teaser — 3-6-2012

Ohhhhh … 

But my WORD … !

It’s looking horribly horrible, out there.

At least on a weather front, anyway.

Grey, overcast, and almost certain to rain.

Practically perfect boating weather, if you happen to be celebrating a queen celebrating a jubilee with a boating pageant.

Hmmm … 

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

Before I say something sarcastic … !

««·»»

Yesterday’s Teaser saw no-one putting in any answers!

So, without much ado, let’s see we can interest in today’s questions, shall we … ?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 3rd June, 1968, saw Valerie Solanas — author of the SCUM Manifestos — try shooting who … ?
Q2) 3rd June, 2006, saw which European country declare independence … ?
Q3) 3rd June, 1965, saw the launch of the Gemini 4 mission: on that mission, which American astronaut made the first US spacewalk … ?
Q4) 3rd June, 1937, saw the Duke of Windsor get married to Wallace Simpson: what had his regnal name been, before his abdication … ?
Q5) And finally … 3rd June, 1979, saw the (then) worst oil spill ever recorded, in the Gulf of Mexico.   How many barrels of oil were lost: 2 million, 3 million or 4 million … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 2nd June marks the Coronation of the Queen: in which year … ?
A1) 1953.
Q2) More to the point, her accession to the throne was in which year … ?
A2) 1952.   (Which is why the Diamond Jubilee is celebrated this year, rather than next.)
Q3) One of the Queen’s title’s is Defender of the Faith: which English monarch was originally given this title … ?
A3) Henry 8th.   (By Pope Leo 10th.   There’s an irony, there, given what Henry did a few years later … )
Q4) More to the point, Defender of the Faith means the Queen is head of which religious body … ?
A4) The Church of England.
Q5) In which church was the Queen’s coronation … ?
A5) Westminster Abbey.
Q6) And which broadcasters famously turned the Coronation into the UK’s first televised coronation … ?
A6) The BBC.
Q7) Who’s the only other British monarch to celebrate a Diamond Jubilee … ?
A7) Queen Victoria.
Q8) As part of the Jubilee celebrations, the Queen is due to attend WHICH race … ?
A8) The Epsom Derby.   (She likes a punt on the proverbial gee-gees: Prince Phillip os more of a greyhound man, Charles and Camilla go more for the Polo, and Prince William is one for the fillies: although not since Kate married him.)
Q9) As a final Jubilee question: Her Majesty is technically what, a Queen Dowager, a Queen Mother or a Queen Regnant … ?
A9) A Queen Regnant: in other words, a queen who rules in her own right.
Q10) Moving on … 2nd June, 1972, saw the coronation of Jigme Singye Wangchuck, the fourth Dragon King — or Druk Gyalpo — of which South Asian Country … ?
A10) Bhutan.
Q11) More to the point, that country’s television service started broadcasting on the 2nd June of which year … ?
A11) 1999.
Q12) And finally … 2nd June, 2003, saw the European Space Agency launch its first probe to another planet: which planet … ?
A12) Mars.
Enjoy those, everyone.

As it’s her birthday, I’ll leave you with a tune or two from from the woman that Tina Weymouth, Joan Jett, Pat Benatar, Courtney Love and ALL of L7 owe a big thank you too!

A’one, a’two, a’one two three … !


1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul! Sorry I missed yesterday's. I'm up late again, watching movies. :)

    I figured I'd give this a quick go.

    1. Andy Warhol
    2. Montenegro
    3. Ed White
    4. Edward VIII
    5. 4 million (I'm totally guessing)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.