Tuesday, 13 May 2014

The Daily Teaser — 13-5-2014

Hmmm … 

Have you been following the story about the kidnapped schoolgirls in Nigeria … ?

I can’t help but think the kidnappings are the militants equivalent to to the Warrington Bombings: which generated bad publicity — to say the least — for the Provisional IRA.

There’s ALSO the fact that yesterday, the Boko Haram leader issued a video in which he offered to exchange the schoolgirls for imprisoned militants.

Granted, the BBC journalist, John Simpson, has a point: this could well be the start of some sort of negotiated release.

All to the good.

Personally, though … ?   I couldn’t help but notice that the group claims many of the girls had converted to Islam.

Outside of any discussion we wish to have about Stockholm Syndrome … ?

I can’t help but notice the hijab-clad girls in that video: with armed men standing over them.

And remember that one of the few verses I know from the Qur’an is verse 256 of the Al-Baqara sura: which opens with one of the most famous lines from Islam’s holy book.
“There shall be no compulsion in religion.”
An armed gunman … ?

Well, I don’t think armed gunmen counts as “No Compulsion” …

~≈‡≈~
Right, rant over, let’s move on … !

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: and scoring eight out of ten.

Let‘s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video

Q1) 13th May, 1952, saw the first opening of the Rajya Sabha: the Upper House of which country’s Parliament?
Q2) 13th May, 1787, saw Captain Arthur Phillips — and the Fleet he led — leave Portsmouth: bound for a Penal colony in what’s now which country … ?
Q3) More to the point, the Fleet landed in which Bay … ?
Q4) 13th May, 1888, saw Brazil pass the law that banned what … ?
Q5) Finally … 13th May, 1937, saw the birth of inventor, Trevor Bayliss: famed for inventing a wind-up … what … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 12th May, 1942, saw the birth of singer/song-writer, actor and artist, Ian Dury.   With which band did he come to national prominence … ?
Q2) What was the name of the band he formed in the very early 1970s … ?
Q3) More to the point, what was the name of his first band’s first album … ?
A3) Handsome.
Q4) Which Ian Dury album is usually said to be the first by he and his second band: despite their not being credited on it … ?
Q5) What was the name of Dury — and company’s — first UK Top Ten single … ?
Q6) One Ian Dury song — The Busman’s Prayer — includes the line “For Thine is the Kingston, the Purley and the Crawley, 
For Esher and Esher.   
Crouch End.”   What is The Busman’s Prayer a parody version of?
A6) The Lord’s Prayer.
Q7) What was the last album Ian Dury released during his lifetime … ?
Q8) Dury famously turned down the chance to write the lyrics for which Andrew Lloyd Webber musical … ?
A8) Cats.   (Richard Stilgoe got the job, eventually.)
Q9) Barney Bubbles designed the cover for Dury album, Do It, Yourself.   The cover famously consisted of different types of what … ?
A9) Wallpaper.
Q10) Finally … what was Ian Dury and company’s one UK Number 1 … ?
Given it’s singer/songwriter, Alison Goldfrapp ’s birthday … ?

We’ll have this tune …  


And this quote …
“My favorite form is the short story. From an aesthetics stand point you really have to pare down to the bone. You can’t write a throw-away scene.”
Roger Zelazny May 13, 1937 – June 14, 1995.
Have a good day … 













*        Oh, I’m with you, Debbi.   Ian Dury was an artistic genius, though: a bit of a touchy artistic genius … 

1 comment:

  1. A lot of musicians can be like that, I think. Maybe not just musicians. :)

    1. India
    2. Australia
    3. Botany Bay
    4. slavery
    5. radio

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.