Thursday, 8 May 2014

The Daily Teaser — 8-5-2014: VE Day

Hmmm … 

Is anyone ELSE having an issue with YouTube … ?

Let me clarify: is anyone else out there having issues using or accessing YouTube, using Safari 5.x, under Snow Leopard … ?

I know I am, as are others: going by what I can see of the YouTube forums.

I’ve tried my usual range of stuff: from clearing my copy of Safari’s caches and history, to system wide cache clearing, to dumping the relevant .plist files.

With no good result.

And, wouldn’t you know it … ?

Wouldn’t you know it, interacting with YouTube’s forum — trying to post questions myself — is ALSO affected by whatever’s causing the problem.

Grrrr … !

Hmmm … Let’s get a move, shall we?

~≈Â≈~
Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: and scoring four out of five*.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) Today is VE Day: marking the partial ending of World War Two.   What does VE stand for … ?
Q2) More to the point, in which year was the end of World War Two … ?
Q3) Technically, VE Day marks the day which hostile country surrendered … ?
Q4) On which date had that country’s forces in Italy surrendered … ?
Q5) Who was that country’s leader, at the time of its surrender … ?
Q6) Who was British PM, on VE Day … ?
Q7) More to the point, VE Day, 1945, was the US President’s 61st birthday.   Who was US president … ?
Q8) On which day do the former Soviet Union influenced countries celebrate VE Day … ?
Q9) Which noted Jazz trumpeter and radio presenter was playing trumpet in Trafalgar Square, on VE Day … ?
Q10) And finally … what were the only parts of the UK to be occupied during World War 2?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 7th May, 2001, saw the Pope visit the capital of Syria.   Which pope … ?
Q2) More to the point … what was the city … ?
A2) Damascus.
Q3) 7th May saw the first launch of the Space Shuttle Endeavour: in which year of the 1990s … ?
A3) 1994.
Q4) 7th May, 1429, saw Joan of Arc pull an arrow out of her shoulder, during the Siege of Orleans: then lead the last charge.   During which War was the Siege … ?
Q5) Finally … 7th May, 1896, saw the execution — by hanging — of serial killer, Dr H. H. Holmes.   In which US city did he commit most of his murders … ?
A5) Chicago.
I’ll leave you with this song … 


And with this thought …
“We have all of us made our mistakes, but the strength of the Parliamentary institution has been shown to enable it at the same moment to preserve all the title-deeds of democracy while waging war in the most stern and protracted form.”
From Sir Winston Churchill’s Speech to Parliament, on VE Day.
Have a good day.









*        My pleasure, Debbi, any time … !   (Oooh, meant to ask, are you having trouble interacting with YouTube … ?)

1 comment:

  1. I'm having all sorts of trouble. Too many troubles to get into here. :)

    1. Victory in Europe
    2. 1945
    3. Germany
    4. 25 April 1945
    5. Mussolini
    6. Churchill
    7. FDR
    8. May 9
    9. Ray Gelato
    10. the Channel Islands

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.