Friday 2 May 2014

The Daily Teaser — 2-5-2014

Bleugh … !

I think I managed to spend yesterday … 

No, wait, I KNOW I managed to spend yesterday!

With a bloody great migraine … !

I think I hate migraines.

And shall have a campaign about it.

Either that … ?

Or I’m going to have to work out how to adjust my monitor, and turn down the brightness … !

Oy, veh … !

Either way, let’s get a move on, shall we … ?

~≈®≈~
Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: and bagging four out of five.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 2nd May, 1946, saw the start of the Battle of Alcatraz: an escape attempt from the notorious prison.   Alcatraz is on an island in the harbour of which US city … ?
Q2) More to the point, what’s the name of the island the prison is on … ?
Q3) 2nd May, 1885, saw the Congo Free State established: by King Léopold of where … ?
Q4) More to the point, the Congo Free State is NOW better known as which country … ?
Q5) 2nd May, 2000, saw President Bill Clinton announce that what would be made available for civilian use … ?
Q6) 2nd May, 1808, saw the people of Madrid start a rebellion, against their French occupiers.   Which Spanish artist painted The Second Of May 1808, to commemorate the event … ?
Q7) Finally 2nd May, 1932, saw Jack Benny’s radio programme debut on US airwaves.   Which brand of soft drink sponsored the show … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 1st May, 1840, saw the introduction of the Penny Black, in the UK.   The Penny Black was the world first postage stamp that was … what … ?
A1) Adhesive.
Q2) The stamp bore an image of the then British monarch.   Who was that monarch … ?
Q3) The stamp effectively formed the basis of the UK’s Uniform Penny Post.   The body that operated it is now called the Royal Mail: but was then called what … ?
Q4) 1854 saw the introduction of what to the UK’s stamps … ?
A4) Funnily … perforations
Q5) Finally … the Penny Black was replaced in 1841: by what … ?
A5) The Penny Red.
I’ll leave you with this song … 


And this thought …
“Britain’s great strength is its innovative, design and engineering natural ability and we’re not using it.”
James Dyson‡, born 2 May 1947.
Have a good day … !













*        I’ll be looking forward to that, too!   (The sad bit, though, Debbi† … ?   Is that I won’t be seeing Karen, as I’ve given up on leafleting for my local Lib Debs.   With the amount of stuff the job centre’s asking me to do, on top of the blog, it’s chewing up too much of my time.)

†        I have to admit, Debbi: I’m STILL not sure about the answer to Question Three, yesterday: I’m FAIRLY sure the answer is ‘General Post Office’, but can’t find the reference for that answer.   If I’m wrong, do you mind me owing you a point … ?

‡        Is it just me or does designer, James Dyson look quite a bit like Apple CEO, Tim Cook … ?   Nah … … … 


3 comments:

trev-v said...

Yes it was the GPO and had been since 1660




http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Post_Office_%28United_Kingdom%29

Nik Nak said...

Cheers for that, Trevor!

Debbi said...

I concede to Trevor's greater expertise!

1. San Francisco
2. Alcatraz Island
3. Belgium
4. the Democratic Republic of the Congo
5. GPS
6. Goya
7. Canada Dry Ginger Ale

I'll be offline for a while, but I'll be back!