Wednesday 13 May 2015

The Daily Teaser — 13-5-2015

Well, that’s that done … !

Did I mention my letterbox?   A couple of days ago, I found that the lock on my letterbox had been forced open.

This, after letterbox thieves have been caught in the area.

I have to admit, my landlords, Circle South Anglia, moved rapidly on this.

But … ?   I’ve been worked in retail customer services for many years.

One thing I’ve learnt as a result?   Is that customers — we tenants and part-owners, in this case — usually like being told what’s happening.

Frankly?

I think I and the rest of of us affected by both the letterbox theft, identity theft, and cannabis use in our block, would appreciate regular updates on what’s happening.

~≈†≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: AND scoring four out of six.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are: along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 13th May is the Feast Day of Saint Servatius: patron saint of which Dutch city?
Q2) 13th May, 1995, saw Alison Hargreaves complete her climb of Everest: without the help of bottled oxygen.   She ALSO went without help from the Native Nepali people.   What’s the name of those people?
Q3) 13th May, 1967, saw Dr Zakir Hussain become the first Muslim president of where?
Q4) 13th May, 1945, saw the birth of US saxophonist, Lou Marini.   Lou famously appeared in which John Belushi fronted band?
Q5) Finally … 13th May, 1861, saw John Tebbutt discovered what’s referred to as C/1861 J1.   It’s also known as the Great what of 1861?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 12th May, 1937, saw the coronation of George 6th: as King of the UK, and the Commonwealth.   He was the last British Emperor of where?
A1) India.
Q2) What had his ducal title been, prior to his coronation?
Q3) 12th May, 1862, saw Baton Rouge  occupied by US federal troops: during the US Civil War.   Baton Rouge is the capital of which state?
A3) Louisiana.
Q4) 12th May, 1952, saw Gaj Singh crowned as Maharaja of Jodhpur.   The title, Maharaja, translates into as English as Great … what?
A4) King: and sometimes Prince, depending on the translator.
Q5) 12th May, 1948, saw the abdication of Queen Wilhelmina: of where?
A5) The Netherlands.
Q6) Finally … 12th May, 1968, saw the birth of Tony Hawks.   Hawks is best known for being what: a freerunner, a skateboarder or an extreme ironer?
A6) A skateboarder.   (Extreme ironing is odd.   Well … odder than freerunning …)
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“I see myself as a novelist, period.   I mean, the material I work with is what is classified as science fiction and fantasy, and I really don’t think about these things when I’m writing.   I’m just thinking about telling a story and developing my characters.”

Roger Zelazny, May 13, 1937 – June 14, 1995.
And this tune … 


Enjoy your day.









*        It’s pretty impressive, Debbi, isn’t it?   I’m starting to wonder about bionic eyeballs!   (Oh, I found this piece about bionic arms, as well.   One of the people with the prosthetic arms is called Igor.   I was reaching for my Terry Pratchett collection.)

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Geordi LaForge would appreciate that. :)

1. Maastricht
2. the Nepalese
3. India
4. the Blues Brothers
5. the Great Comet