Friday 11 March 2016

The Daily Teaser — 11-3-2016

Right … 

That went well … 

I mentioned, yesterday, that I was due back into work: a day early.

Basically?

Someone went off ill.

I’m not complaining, as this means I’ve earnt myself some overtime: and can (hopefully) leave some in my savings account.

Not that the cash in there, lasts for long, but at least I’ve got SOMETHING!

At ANY rate … ?

Today I’m OFFICIALLY back to work.

For nine hours.

OK, At least one nurse I know will give me a meaningful look, here … 

But that’s a long ol’ shift … !

~≈≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 11th March, 1851, saw the debut performance of Rigoletto: in Venice, Italy.   With music by Verdi, the opera is based on a novel by which French writer?
Q2) 11th March, 1933, saw the release of 42nd Street.   The film was directed by Lloyd Bacon: and choreographed by whom?
Q3) 11th March, 1932, saw the last sighting of Booming Ben, the world’s last known what: Elephant Bird, Heath Hen or Red Rail?
Q4) 11th March, 1702, saw the original publication of the world’s first daily newspaper.   It was called what: the Daily Mail, Daily Courant or Daily Express?
Q5) Finally … 11th March saw the Great Blizzard hit the USA’s east coast.   In which year of the 1880s?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 10th March, 1891, saw Almon Strowger patent the Strowger Switch.   The switch automates circuit switching in what type of communication: radio transmission, VoIP or the telephone system?
A1) The telephone system.   (Strowger was an undertaker, and conceived the device, after becoming convinced a rival’s wife — a phone operator — was putting through potential customers to her husband, rather than him.)
Q2) 10th March, 1452, saw the birth of Ferdinand 2nd of Aragon.  For many years, he was ALSO co-ruler of Castille: as a result of his marriage to whom?
A2) Isabella 1st of Castille.   (The pair are some of Spain’s most famous royal rulers.)
Q3) 10th March, 1977, saw astronomers discover rings around which planet?
A3) Uranus.
Q4) 10th March, 1831, saw the founding of one of the world’s most famous military units.   Which military unit?
Q5) Finally … 10th March, 1862, saw the first issues of US paper money.   What, currently, is the highest denomination of dollar bill?
A5) The $100 bill.
I’ll leave you with this …
“This car of mine, I am tickled to death with it. The machine is nearly everything, its power, stability and balance. The driver, allowing for his experience and courage, is much less.”
Sir Malcolm Campbell, speaking of the Bluebell, in which he broke the world landspeed record.
And this … 


Enjoy your day … 












*        Posted it on his blog, Olga … ?   Hmmm … Bless her, Debbi has always encouraged me to write: although I don’t know if I’ve got THAT much of a story in me.   At any rate … ?   That sounds like the modern equivalent of something Charles Dickens used to do: a lot of his novels were initially serialised in magazines.   (Oh … I’ve got a Meme generator for my phone: you can add relevant captions to assorted photos.   I don’t know who came up with the photo … ;) )



†        I’ve had a bit of a jazz thing going on for the past few days, Debbi: you’re not the only one who’s noticed … !

1 comment:

Debbi said...

I think we all have a story to tell in us. It's just a matter of getting it out. :)

1. Victor Hugo (it was based on a play, I believe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigoletto)
2. Busby Berkeley
3. Heath Hen
4. The Daily Courant
5. 1888