Monday 11 April 2016

The Daily Teaser — 11-4-2016

Right … 

I think I need to pay Brentwood Council a visit, today.

And putting it off isn’t necessarily going to help.

Remember, a couple of days ago, I mentioned that Council hadn’t sent me a payment card for my council tax?

It’s still not here.

I don’t know about you, but I’m thinking going in to the Town Hall to ask what’s going on would be useful …

~≈Ç≈~

That’s the other thing to do.   Can I ask you a favour?

I’m thinking that I like my job.

No, really.

But I’m getting itchy feet: and thinking I’d rather be looking for a change of job: before I end up retiring!

Can you just … you know … give me a poke, every so often?

Ta!

~≈Ç≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 11th April, 1909, saw the founding of Tel Aviv.   The city is in which country?
Q2) 11th April, 1913, was the date of the Nevill’s Ground attack: an attack on a sports ground by Suffragettes.   It was the only such attack on what: a football field, rugby pitch or cricket ground?
Q3) 11th April, 1961, saw whose warcrimes trail begin?
Q4) 11th April, 1908, saw the launch of the SMS Blücher.   The ship was the last cruiser built by whom: the Ottoman Empire, imperial Germany or the Russian Empire?
Q5) Finally … 11th April, 1972, saw the original broadcast of Radio Four’s I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue.   Who’s the show’s current chairman?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 10th April, 1858, saw the recasting of the bell used in the Clock Tower of the Palace of Westminster.   The bell is famously known as Big Ben.   What’s the Tower called?
A1) The Elizabeth Tower.
Q2) 10th April, 1953, saw the release of House of Wax: the world’s first 3D movie by a major studio.   Which Hollywood studio released it?
Q3) 10th April, 1972, saw the original signing of the Biological Weapons Convention.   Name any of the fourteen nations who HAVEN’T signed or ratified it.
A3) Angola, Chad, Comoros, Djibouti, Eritrea, Guinea, Israel, Kiribati, Micronesia, Namibia, Niue, Samoa, South Sudan or Tuvalu.
Q4) 10th April saw the founding of the Professional Golfers Association of America.   But in which year: 1915, 1916 or 1917?
A4) 1916.   (In Europe and Africa, WW1 was raging.   America … played golf …)
Q5) Finally … 10th April, 428AD, saw Nestorius named as archbishop of where?
A5) Constantinople.   (The Nestorian heresy, named for the Archbishop, holds that Christ is two natures in one body.   You have to love a theological argument.)
I’ll leave you with these words …
“I love being in a show. I love the community aspect of it. I like the discipline of it, too.”
Joel Grey, born 11th April, 1932.
And this tune … 


I have to admit, I’m rather pleased with the amount of comments that clip has generated.

Have a good day …













*        I always think re-starting my router comes in handy, Olga‡: just to be on the safe side!   At any rate, I know what you mean: sometimes things don’t go through at the other end, and I’m blowed if I know what’s gone on!   (You know, I keep thinking visiting Istanbul would be an idea: after all, it’s like London, New York or Madrid: one of THE cities …)

†        I’ll keep my eyes peeled, Debbi‡: in between job-hunting, pestering the council, shopping, making Teaser videos … (We’ll have to start calling you the Jogging Blogger … !)

‡        Oh, JUST as a point for you both?   The Elizabeth Tower was called the Clock Tower: up until the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in 2012: the name was changed to mark the event.   Personally … ?   I can still remember Grace Jones’ performance at the Diamond Jubilee party.   I mean, she hula hooped through the whole song!

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Israel
Q2) Cricket
Q3) Adolf Eichmann (famously Hannah Arendt based her theory of the banality of evil on his behaviour during the trial. I watched a fascinating movie about her not long ago).
Q4) Imperial German Navy
Q5) Jack Dee
Thanks, Paul. Good luck with the job thing... And thanks for the clips. Love Cabaret. :)

Debbi said...

I know! That was amazing! :) Amazing Grace!

1. Israel
2. cricket ground
3. Adolf Eichmann (and I think you meant "trial" not "trail" :))
4. imperial Germany
5. Jack Dee