Tuesday 4 July 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 4-7-2017: Independence Day

Right … 

I’m actually up on time!

OK, that’s a pretty much a deadline picked by myself.

But … ?

At least it means I can pick up a repeat prescription in town.

And get some exercise.

Although I’m getting that, laughing.

I’ve just listened to last night’s I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue.

Hell of an episode*!

~≈Ê≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s themed questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 4th July is Independence Day in the USA.   It marks the US’s independence from where?
Q2) Independence was announced with the Declaration of Independence: as voted on by the US Congress.   Name any one of the five men that drafted that Declaration.
Q3) According to the Declaration, all men are created … what?
Q4) The Declaration also says we’re allowed “life, liberty and the pursuit of …” what?
Q5) Finally … The thirteen original US colonies strictly became independent in 1776.   When in 1776: the 2nd, 3rd or 4th of July?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) The 43rd state to be admitted to the USA did so on 3rd July, 1890.   Which state was it?
A1) Idaho.
Q2) President Carter  signed a directive on 3rd July, 1979.   The directive gave secret US aid to anti-soviet forces, where: Pakistan, Afghanistan or Turkey?
Q3) The Constitution of Puerto Rico was finally approved: on 3rd July, 1952.   By whom?
A3) The US Congress.
Q4) The Stone of Scone was returned to Scotland: on 3rd July, 1996.   The stone is traditionally used in British what: Parliamentary openings, coronations or the Changing of the Guard?
Q5) Finally … 3rd July, 1927, saw the birth of film director, Ken Russell.   Which of his films was about a deaf, blind, youngster who plays pinball?
A5) Tommy.
Here’s a thought …
“Then thou, propitious, rose to shed

The light of Freedom on mankind.”
From On the Fourth of July by Swami Vivekananda.
Here’s the Star Spangled Banner … 


Here’s an ancient Betelgeusian Death anthem … 


And a pinball wizard: as the film’s mentioned in one of yesterday’s answers … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.   Once we get them off Elton’s boots.

Have a good day.


*        They’s just done a Name that Joke round: the contestants here a brief snippet of a song, and have to work out the associated joke.   The guesses were hysterical.   As was the actual joke.   A duck is about to cross the road.   Until a chicken comes up and says, ‘Don’t do it: you’ll never hear the last of it … !’   OK, I thought it was funny!

†        Yes, you’re right I think, Olga: Barry’s sort of hard to find a replacement for: certainly in the English speaking world.   You have to give Jonathan Ross and Mark Kermode credit for trying, but … !   (I’ve never seen a Pedro Almodóvar film: my loss, I think.   I’m just wondering what Barry would’ve suggested I start with … !)

‡      I know what you mean, Debbi: it’s quite a wait, though.   (I’m curious about who’ll be the next person cast in the role.   I’d’ve said Kris Marshall: as bookies stopped taking bets on him, at one point.   The only other people that’s happened to?  Is Peter Capaldi.   And, according to this report?   Phoebe Waller-Bridge.   Lord knows what’s happening, there, then, but I’m still putting my money on Marshall.)

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Great Britain
Q2) Thomas Jefferson (I went to see it in Washington DC in 1998… I wonder if one can still visit it)
Q3) equal (not women and not black men but hey… it’s a document of its time)
Q4) Happiness (it should have been property, but with slavery they decided to change it… The didn’t want to upset the applecart)
Q5) The 2nd….
Oh, I wonder. Personally, my favourite must be 'All About My Mother' (not only because it is set mostly in Barcelona). 'Talk to Her' if you like movies about movies (But Broken Embrace is also about that). Some of the early ones are quite funny (Women on the Verge of a Nervous breakdown) and Volver, Volver, if you like Penelope Cruz.

Debbi said...

Wow! What an assortment. I must say that Reece Shearsmith does a bow tie proud! :) But having a female Doctor would be cool.

1. Britain
2. Thomas Jefferson
3. equal
4. happiness
5. 4th of July (although, I read somewhere that it could've been July 2 or August 2, which is ... unexpected)