Wednesday 26 July 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 26-7-2017

Right … 

I have to admit, I’m looking forward to tomorrow: it’s going to be my one day off this week.

Although, frankly?

I’m expecting to do a LOT of laundry, tomorrow!

That’s right: I’m going to be washing my shirts!

Oy … … … 

… 

… … 

Vey … !

~≈⇪≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 26th July, 1967, saw the birth of actor, Jason Statham.   He plays Bacon: in which Guy Ritchie film?
Q2) Nikephoros 1st died on 26th July, 811 AD.   He was Emperor of where: Byzantium, Rome or Japan?
Q3) What did Egypt nationalize on 26th July, 1956: the Pyramids, the Suez Canal or Luxor?
Q4) Who became the first female nominee for the post of US President: on 26th July, 2016?
Q5) Finally … the Explorer 4 probe was launched on 26th July, 1958.   What was it exploring: the Moon, Earth’s radiation belt or sunspots?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 25th July, 2007, saw Pratibha Patil sworn in: as the first female president of where?
A1) India.
Q2) Engelbert Dolfuss assassinated by Nazi agents: on 25th July, 1934.   He was, at the time, Chancellor of which German speaking nation?
A2) Austria.
Q3) Mary 1st of England got married: on 25th July, 1554.   To whom?
A3) Phillip 2nd of Spain.
Q4) Admiral Horatio Nelson lost 300 men — and his right arm — on 25th July, 1797.   At the Battle of Santa Cruz de … where: Tenerife, Torremolinos or Gran Canaria?
A4) Tenerife.
Q5) Finally … 25th July is the feast day of Saint James the Great.   The saint is patron saint of where: Spain, France or Portugal?
A5) Spain.
Here’s a song by Darlene Love … 


And a thought …
“There is only one religion, though there are a hundred versions of it.”
Plays, Pleasant and Unpleasant, G. B. Shaw, 26 July 1856 – 2 November 1950.
Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        Galicia, you say, Olga … ?   I seem to recall there’s a famous pilgrimage site, Satiago de Compostela, around there.   Which is a bit of a happy co-incidence, given yesterday’s questions!   I keep thinking there’s a famous type of sausage from there, as well: which possibly says something!   (I’m ALSO convinced there’s a pilgrimage route from parts of the UK, to Satiago de Compostela: but couldn’t swear to it.   I know, though, that my home town is on the route to the pilgrimage sites in Canterbury dedicated to Saint Thomas a’Beckett: the Troublesome priest?   Yeah, him!)

†        Funny old thing, Debbi, he’s in Elementary: a US version of The Sherlock Holmes stories.   And I still remember seeing him in Hackers, back in the day.   (It’s got Macs in it, and Angelina Jolie in a wet t-shirt.   Compulsive viewing, as far as I’m concerned.   Sorry, sorry, needless slobbering!)

2 comments:

Debbi said...

Well, I could a bit of slobbering over Johnny, for that matter! :)

1. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
2. Byzantium
3. the Suez Canal
4. Hillary Clinton
5. Earth's radiation belt

Olga said...

Q1) Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
Q2) Byzantium
Q3) The Suez Canal
Q4) Hillary Clinton
Q5) Earth’s radiation belt
Yes, I think there are routes to Santiago de Compostela from all over (the famous 'Camino de Santiago' pilgrimage. If you go there in pilgrimage one of the years of the Saint, and you are a Catholic, I assume, all your sins are forgiven. Yes, you're supposed to go walking).
I almost forgot the teaser...
Funnily enough, I assume you are talking about Jonny Lee Miller. I saw him (in the cinema, not the original play) in a production of Frankenstein with... Benedict Cumberbatch. They swapped roles (one played Frankenstein one day and the other the monster, and the next day the other way round. The day I watched it, Cumberbatch was the monster. They were both very good). I thought it was funny to have the two Sherlocks playing together...