Sunday 13 May 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 13-5-2018: The First Fleet.

13th May, 2018.


Yep: yesterday’s Teaser saw me giving Israeli Eurovision entry — Toy, by Netta — a mention.

Mostly because it was cheerfully upbeat … and featured Netta’s chicken impression.


I have to admit, I thought it might well.    As well as the LAST surprise oddity I saw on the contest: the Finnish winer from a few years ago, Lordi.

If you’re going to go over the top?   Chicken impressions, or dressing up as orcs, seems to be a winner.


The UK could possibly do with a hint, there.

Hairy protestors getting involved does NOT seem to help: although you have to give SuRie credit for grace under glitter covered fire. … !


We ended up 24th: out of 26 …

Thinking about it?

He might have helped … 

~≈†≈~

Just as a minor point?

I don’t know about you, but series killer always used to fascinate me, when I was younger.

I think that was probably a result of interest in Jack the Ripper.

One that caught my eye was Dennis Nilsen: by his own admission, and up unto then?   Britain’s most prolific serial killer.

He died yesterday, at the age of seventy-two.

Quite how I feel about it, I don’t know.

But think the families of his victims will be glad to hear it.

Frankly?

I can’t say I blame them.

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Olga scoring five out of five and Debbi scoring four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video


Q1) Admiral Arthur Phillip set sail with the First Fleet: on 13th May of which year of the 1780s?
Q2) The Fleet was to set up what kind of colony?
Q3) The colony was in what’s now Australia: in what was called Port Jackson.   Port Jackson is now part of which Australian city?
Q4) The fleet had two Naval ships, three store ships, and how many convict ships?
Q5) Finally … the Fleet arrived in Australia in which year of the 1780s?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …


Q1) 12th May, 2018, sees the final of Eurovision, 2018.   Which country is the contest being held in?
A1) Portugal.
Q2) More to the point … ?   What city is it being held in?
A2) Lisbon.
Q3) 26 countries will go through to the final.   Name any one of the eight who has pre-qualified for the final.
A3) Portugal, France, Germany, Italy, Spain or the UK.
Q4) There’s two non European countries taking part.   Israel is one.   What’s the other?
A4) Australia.
Q5) Finally … ?   The UK’s entry, this year, is a singer called SuRie.   She was previously involved with which country’s Eurovision entries?
A5) Belgium’s.   (You notice I’m saying nothing about the actual song … )
Here’s a quote …
“Governor Phillip, on his arrival at the station, hoisted his flag on board the Sirius, as Commodore of the squadron: and the embarkation being completed, and the time requiring his departure, at day break on the 13th of May, he gave the signal to weigh anchor.”
From Chapter two of The Voyage of Governor Phillip to Botany Bay, originally printed in 1789.
And Australia’s other national anthem‡ …



Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        You’ve possibly missed an interesting evening, there, Olga: I don’t know how Spain^ did, but the UK got a pitch invasion!   I have to confess, I’m not a big viewer of the thing: and got to bed early, last night.   I do try and follow it, though: there’s usually something happening.   (Sounds like Spain could do with Eurovision help, too.   What would you prefer, Olga, Orcs, chicken impressions, romantic couples or protestors?)

†        Yeah, I get the same issue, Debbi: although I’m not too worried about it.   I HAVE raised the issue Apple’s support communities: I figured that might help.   Thinking about it, having some sort of screen behind us may help: as would keeping folds in clothes to a minimum.   If you hit the ‘I have this question, too’ button, Apple should keep track of it for you … (Oh, Australia’s the other non-European country in the contest.   They get about …)

‡        Did I imagine that?   No, I didn’t.   That minibus has “Tanelorn Rules” graffitied on the bonnet.   I think there’s at least one Michael Moorcock fan who’s a member of Men at Work.


^       Yeah, I figured they might be: I think the last time couples featured heavily in the contest, it was in a rather well known Swedish band …

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1787
Q2) A penal colony in Australia
Q3) Sydney
Q4) Six
Q5) 1788
I saw the incident with the UK featured on Twitter (best place to discover what people are talking about). Spain finished 23rd only a place before the UK. I guess the romantic couple thing didn't work so well (the song was rubbish but hey). Perhaps if they start singing in English too? Although I think it is a bit sad that most countries have adopted English (so much so for diversity, but hey ho) It's best to catch the highlights. Life is too short, I think. Have a good Sunday

Debbi said...

Ugh! I can't believe I missed Australia! Jeez! :)

1. 1787
2. a penal colony
3. Sydney
4. 6
5. 1788