27th May, 2018.
It’s true: I really can’t resist OMD’s finest thirty-seven minutes.
To the point where you’re getting sick of it!
To be fair, though … ?
It’s been a favourite for the past …
Well, since 1981, about the time I got is on cassette.
Along side From A to B by New Muzic, and one or two other things I won’t admit to!
At ANY rate … ?
I might just dig up Dazzle Ships or English Electric, next: just for a change of pace!
At any rate, and moving quickly along?
It’s a Sunday night … a Sunday where I wasn’t working.
Which means just the one thing.
Yes: I’ve caught a movie.
And yes: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is a mouthful!
~≈§≈~
Based on the comic, Valérian and Laureline, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets introduces us to Major Valerian (Dane DeHaan) and his partner, Sergeant Laureline (Cara Delevigne): a pair working for humanity’s government as roving special agents.
And assigned to retrieve a Mül converter — the last of its kind — from an inter-dimensional trade area called Big Market.
There’s problems.
The original owners want the converter back, assorted gangsters are extremely interested in the thing …
And Commandet Arün Fillitt (Clive Owen), the bickering pair’s commanding officer, is desperate to hide a filthy little secret.
A battle he fought, over a planet called Mül …
~≈§≈~
Now … mouthful?
Good grief, yes: just Valerian would’ve done, I think.
Which detracts a little from the central question: did I think this is a good film, one worth watching?
I’ll give it a qualified yes, I think.
While it’s not exactly the most coherent of plots, and both DeHaan and Delevigne are a little wooden, Valerian does have some nice action sequences, and moves at a reasonable pace.
And, granted the central stars aren’t going to win any Oscars, they both do a competent enough job: Delevigne in particular.
It also got some beautiful design* work.
Absolutely gorgeous design work: possibly the best thing about it.
Absolutely gorgeous design work: possibly the best thing about it.
Personally?
It’s not a perfect film.
But Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is watchable.
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
★★☆☆
* 5th June, 2018. I’ve been meaning to mention this for a while: and take the chance to do so, now. I don’t know if you were ever one for role playing games, back in the day: but I was. Or at least, read a few. One favourite? Was the SF game, Traveller, with its feudal setting, huge range … and assorted aliens. I mention this? Because the k-tron robots in the film vaguely reminded me of the Vegans: and the Doghan-Dagui vaguely reminding me of the Droyne. Whether the Valerian aliens were based on the species in Traveller? Is a whole other matter. But that’s how they looked to me. (It’s the neck muscle on the Vegan heads, and the wings on the Droyne: THAT’S what I was looking at.)
![]() |
| Doghan-Daguis |
![]() |
| K-tron |
![]() |
| Vegans |
![]() |
| Droyne |





No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.