Monday 16 November 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 16th November, 2020

16th November, 2020.


Right … 

As I write … ?

I’ve got the Children in Need version of University Challenge on, courtesy of Youtube.

Which is rather fun.

Although I have to say, the BBC seem to be ahead … 


~≈†≈~

At any rate … ?

At any rate: 11 o’clock, today, sees me having another meeting with my Shaw Trust case worker.

Granted, they turned me down for a laptop: but I will give my case worker his due, he’s been digging up the occasional potential job.

I haven’t got them … but at least he’s found something.

~≈†≈~

Oh … with that said … ?

I’ve got an assessment, tonight: at a local adult education centre: for the European Computer Driving License course … 

I’m nervous … but more worried about getting there!

Hey ho!

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, MumDebbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Olga, and Trevor scoring five out of five, Debbi on four, Mum on three and Edith on two.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        16th November, 1953, saw the birth of actor and comedian, Griff Rhys Jones.   He first came to national attention on which BBC sketch show?

Q2)        UNESCO was founded on 16th November, 1945.   UNESCO is the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural … what?

Q3)        16th November, 1907, saw the birth of actor, Burgess Meredith.   Who did he play in the 1960s TV version of Batman?

Q4)        The Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited was founded on 16th November, 1920.   It’s now better known as which airline?

Q5)        Finally … ? 16th November, 1992, a metal detectorist discover the Hoxne Hoard: in the small Suffolk village of Hoxne.   The Hoard was what: Roman, Viking or Chinese?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        The USSR launched the Buran spacecraft on 15th November, 1988.   The Spaceplane was the Soviet equivalent to which US craft?
A1)        The Space shuttle.

Q2)        One of the US Buran equivalents launched on 15th November, 1990.   Which one: the Enterprise, the Challenger or the Atlantis?
A2)        The Atlantis.

Q3)        Which country’s Communist government dissolved, on 15th November, 1990: Romania’s, Bulgaria’s or Russia’s?
A3)        Bulgaria’s.

Q4)        15th November, 2002, saw Hu Jintao named as General Secretary of the Communist Party of where?
A4)        China.

Q5)        Finally … ? 15th November, 2012, saw Xi Jinping named as General Secretary of the Communist Party of where?
A5)        China.
Here’s a thought …
“I changed into a quiet girl, with an inner life that burned with such ferocity that I had no words to express it.”
From A Parallel Life, by Bonnie Greer, born 16 November 1948.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        That makes a certain amount of sense, Trevor,   I think.   If you know how to use something like that, it makes sense not to destroy it.   Thankfully, the German Invasion didn’t happen!

†        You’re right, they DO sound like bad adverts, Olga.   Safestyle Windows and Cillit Bang spring to mind!   The chap in the Bogof ads always seemed a little … um … manic!
Oh, and tell me about coming up with straightforward questions!   This is before I mention the grammar!   This … from a man with his own copy of Hart’s … !   Now I think of it, that and the OED are the nearest British English would get to regulations, but even then … 
I wouldn’t say crime pays … but some crooks avoid getting caught out for their major crimes.   Capone eventually got done for tax evasion.   And Peter Sutcliffe initially got picked up for having false numbers plates … 



‡        Hello, Mum!

^        Likewise, Debbi!   I think it’s only in the 1970s that London Docklands got rebuilt.   The area was a literal bomb site for years.

ª        Morning, Edith: how’s the day, looking?   I’m sure I’ve asked, but how are you with Star Trek Discovery?   I’ve been catching up with series three … 


5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Not the Nine O’Clock News (My cousin loved Alas Smith & Jones, that must have been the first time I saw him)
Q2) Organization
Q3) The Penguin
Q4) Qantas
Q5) Roman
You're right! Mind you, I found those old ads less annoying than the shopping channels equivalents nowadays. At least they were funny!
Good luck with the meeting and the assessment, although I'm sure you won't have any problem with it (if you can get there, fingers crossed)!

trev-v said...

A1 Not the Nine O'Clock News
A2 Organization
A3 The Penguin (Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot)
A4 Qantas
A5 Roman

The Blitz was bad but so was the late 1950’s and 1960’s when we were living with the threat of being obliterated by Russian Nuclear missiles. I think we had a max of 3 minutes warning.


Freda said...

1 Not The Nine O'Clock News
2 Organision
3 The Joker
4 Flying Doctor Service
5 Viking

Edith Reuwer said...

1. Monty Python
2 operation
3. The Penguin
4 Quantis
5. Chinese

It Turns out I don't have CBS all Acess. So, I can't watch Star Trek Discovery.

Thank you for your support today.

Debbi said...

It amazes me to think about cities in England getting bombed. I heard a story from an English author about his experience during the Blitz that brought tears to my eyes.

1. Not the Nine O'Clock News
2. Organization
3. the Penguin
4. Qantas
5. Roman