Tuesday 17 November 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 17th November, 2020

17th November, 2020.




Right … 

I’ve officially got a visit to my GP’s practise nurse, today: at 10.

Frankly, I’d rather keep the reason why to myself, thank you!

It’s not going to be necessarily pleasant, though!

But, boy, I’m going to need a bath!

~≈¥≈~

Remember, yesterday, I was supposed to be going to an assessment: for the European Computer Driving License course I’m due to start?

Yesterday?

It got cancelled!

And rearranged as a phone meeting for Friday.

Which is good.

The laptop turns up, on Thursday … 

~≈¥≈~

On a final thought … ?

Radio Four comedy, I’m Sorry, I Haven’t A Clue, has been named as the greatest radio comedy ever made.

Hopefully?   That means that — in spite of the sad death of Tim Brooke Taylor, this year, — the show will be re-commissioned for another series.

And gives me an excuse to included this video: of possibly the best games of Mornington Crescent, ever!


~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we? Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Edithª and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on two and Edith on one.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        17th November, 1839, saw the opening of an opera called Oberto.   Oberto was the first opera composed by whom: Giuseppe Verdi, Gaetano Donizetti or Richard Wagner?

Q2)        17th November, 1973, saw someone say “Well, I’m not a crook.”   Saw who say “Well, I’m not a crook.”?

Q3)        17th November, 1925, saw the birth of Roy Harold Scherer, Jr.   He was better known as which movie star?

Q4)        17th November, 1292, saw John Balliol named as King of where?

Q5)        Finally … ?   17th November, 1894, saw the arrest of serial killer, H. H. Holmes.   On charges of what: illegal distilling, tax evasion or horse theft?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        16th November, 1953, saw the birth of actor and comedian, Griff Rhys Jones.   He first came to national attention on which BBC sketch show?
A1)        Not The Nine O’Clock News.   (The show’s producer, John Lloyd, was dating Griff’s sister, at the time.   Who said nepotism doesn’t work?)

Q2)        UNESCO was founded on 16th November, 1945.   UNESCO is the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural … what?
A2)        Organisation.

Q3)        16th November, 1907, saw the birth of actor, Burgess Meredith.   Who did he play in the 1960s TV version of Batman?
A3)        The Penguin.   (I still think Robin Lord Taylor was the best Penguin: but Burgess was first …)

Q4)        The Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited was founded on 16th November, 1920.   It’s now better known as which airline?
A4)        Qantas.

Q5)        Finally … ?   16th November, 1992, a metal detectorist discover the Hoxne Hoard: in the small Suffolk village of Hoxne.   The Hoard was what: Roman, Viking or Chinese?
A5)        Roman.
Here’s a thought …
“The United States has broken the second rule of war. That is: don’t go fighting with your land army on the mainland in Asia. Rule One is, don’t march on Moscow.”
Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery, 1st Viscount Montgomery of Alamein, KG, GCB, DSO, PC, DL, 17 November 1887 – 24 March 1976.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        You know, Olga, I think I caught The World According to Smith and Jones, at one point: that was quite something!   It used old movie clips to hysterical effect.
Well … the meeting’s been shifted: at least it’s on the phone, so I won’t have as far to go!   And I’ll hopefully have the laptop, by then!

†        I think we caught the tale end of that when I was growing up in the 80s, Trevor.   And things like WarGames, Threads and the song, Two Tribes, certainly added to the media frenzy!   (I think I’ve got a copy of Threads, somewhere: I’m told it’s worth watching!)


‡        Hello, Mum!!

^        My pleasure, Edith, any time!   Oh, Star Trek Discovery’s available on DVD/Blu-ray: at least, seasons one and two are.   That’s something you might want to explore.

ª        It was supposed to be … well … unpleasant, Debbi.   What CAN I tell you … ?

5 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 Giuseppe Fortunino Francesco Verdi
A2 Richard Milhous Nixon
A3 Rock Hudson
A4 Scotland
A5 horse theft


Olga said...

Q1) Giuseppe Verdi
Q2) Richard Nixon (That’s almost as big a warning sign as saying ‘Trust me’).
Q3) Rock Hudson
Q4) Scotland
Q5) Horse theft (I was going to ask why they hadn’t made a TV or film adaptation and then I read about Hulu’s project. And he’s been a character in season 2 of Supernatural. (I seem to remember that episode, although I haven’t watched them all…)
I hope the appointment at the GP’s surgery goes well (not asking), and the rescheduling of the meeting might work out better. Fingers crossed!
It also occurs to me that comedy shows would be a great way to learn English, or, rather, to improve one's English. Clever use of language, puns, fast-talking, casual language, popular culture...

Debbi said...

Yes, unpleasant would describe it. :)

1. Giuseppe Verdi
2. Richard Nixon
3. Rock Hudson
4. Scotland
5. horse theft

Edith Reuwer said...

1 Verdi
2. Richard Nixon
3. Rock Hudson
4. Spain
5. Tax evasion


I'll look into it.

I love Anita Morris. She was spunky. I didn't realize she was in Absolute Beginners.

Nik Nak said...

Drat! I’ve deleted Mum’s answers by mistake: her’s were … 

1 Verdi
2 Richard Nixon
3 Rock Hudson
4 Scotland
5 Tax Evasion

Freda