Saturday 22 January 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 22-1-2022: The Ukraine

22nd January, 2022.


Right … it’s a Saturday morning: one I’m going to go shopping in … or on … In or On?
 
At any rate, I’m going to go shopping!

Buying the monthly stash of toilet roll, as well as a few other bits.

Food will possibly be handy.

At any rate … ?

I went into Chelmsford, yesterday.

I’m jobhunting, at the moment: and am on a mandatory scheme, designed to help me find work.

A scheme I’m admittedly sceptical about: the last such scheme I was on, wasn’t especially helpful.

At any rate … ?

I had an appointment with my case worker from the scheme, yesterday: in Chelmsford.   You might have seen the photos I posted on Instagram: on my way, and on the way back.
At ANY rate … ?

I’m glad I had a smartphone: with Google Maps on it.

It got me to the office.

Although, frankly?

I’m convinced it took me the long way around!

~≈🧭≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on two.



Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        22nd January is the Day of Unity of Ukraine in Ukraine.   It marks a treaty first signed in which year: 1918, 1919 or 1920?

Q2)        The treaty was signed in what’s now Ukraine’s capital city.   What’s that city’s name: Kyiv, Kharkiv or Odesa?

Q3)        Bulgarian, Belorussian and Polish, are three of Ukraine’s recognised, regional what: languages, alphabets or ethnicities?

Q4)        Pysanka are given as given as gifts in Ukraine.   When: Christmas, Easter or Ramadan?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Vitaliy Klytchko is a well known Ukrainian what: footballer, boxer or rugby player?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        21st January, 1950, saw the death of writer, George Orwell.   Which of his novels has a potted plant in the title?
A1)        Keep the Aspidistra Flying.

Q2)        The first commercial flight by Concorde were made: on 21st January of which year of the 1970s?
A2)        1976.

Q3)        The world’s first nuclear powered sub was launched: on 21st January, 1954.   It was the USS what: the USS Cuttlefish, the USS Nautilus or the the USS Octopus?
A3)        USS Nautilus.

Q4)        21st January is the feast day of Saint Agnes.   She’s the patron saint of whom: farmers, gardeners or hatters?
A4)        Gardeners.

Q5)        Finally … ?   The RMS Tayleur sank on 21st January, 1854: off the coast of Lambay Island.   Where was the ship heading, when she sank: Australia, New Zealand or Japan … ?
A5)        Australia.
Here’s a proverb …
“If every fool wore a crown, we should all be kings.”
Ukrainian proverb.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        It’s always fascinating to see inside other peoples homes, isn’t it, Olga?   Apart from mine: I should really tidy up!   Either way, wish Jordi well for me, please!   (He’d possibly be very confused listening to today’s Saturday Live, Olga.   They’ve a Scottish chef on: who’s just used the word ‘couthie’ on the show: I’d never heard it.   Neither had one of the presenters!)
        I was never a fan, myself: but … ?   I think we’ve got a taste for the theatrical in the UK: and Meatloaf was certainly that!   I can still remember seeing him in The Rocky Horror Picture Show: apparently, he also played the role in the original Broadway version, too.   (I don’t know if he played Dr von Scott: usually, the same actor played both roles in the stage version.)
        Oh, and talking of musicals?   And according to the Today programme?   Great British Bake-off: The Musical is currently in production.   I think I’ll pass.


        Hello, Mum!

‡        It’s sad to see him go, Debbi, I know that.   He was iconic, wasn’t he?   Oh, I’ve just looked at iTunes: you can’t buy the album version of I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That), as an individual song.   That’s vaguely scandalous!
        I’ve emailed the clip to you, if that’s any help!
        As for Orwell … ?   I keep meaning to read Keep the Aspidistra Flying: I’ll have to add it to my To Be Read list!   But Homage to Catalonia^ is quite something.   Down and Out in Paris and London tells me both he and I have worked as dishwashers: apparently, the French word is ‘plongeur.’   And his essay collection, The Lion and the Unicorn, has one hell of an opening line.
“As I write, highly civilised human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.”
The Lion and the Unicorn, George Orwell.

^        There’s a line from Homage to Catalonia that’s always raises a smile, Debbi; 

“All Spaniards, we discovered, knew two English expressions. One was ‘O.K., baby’, the other was a word used by the Barcelona whores in their dealings with English sailors, and I am afraid the compositors would not print it.”

5 comments:

Nik Nak said...

Oh, as a thought for you, Debbi?

There’s also Orwell’s essay, A Nice Cup of Tea.

The man put the tea in the cup, first.

The heathen … !

Olga said...

Q1) 1919

Q2) Kyiv

Q3) Languages

Q4) Easter

Q5) Boxer
I'll keep you posted on Jordi's apartment and how well he is doing. Thanks for taking an interest. Rebeca's apartment has great views. Although it is a bit far from where I live, it's on the 9th floor and you can see quite a long distance across Barcelona.
I enjoy musicals, but the British Bakeoff, the Musical... No, thanks. It reminds me of one of the TV presenters joking with some contestants a few days back about turning a pretty serious book/movie into a musical, but he went one better, not only a musical, but "on ice", so it could be worse! (And, again, I love watching ice skating, but...)
Love your quote from George Orwell. You got me thinking... I am convinced I've mostly read Orwell translated into Spanish many years back. Perhaps it's time to put him on my list!

Freda said...

1 1919
2 Kyiv
3 Languages
4 Easter
5 Boxer

Freda said...

Ukraine may be having problems soon, if Mr Putin has his way.

Debbi said...

That is a GREAT opening line!

I have to read more Orwell now!

1. 1919
2. Kyiv
3. languages
4. Easter
5. boxes

Nice clip from Rocky Horror!