Tuesday 25 January 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 25-1-2022: Burns Night

25th January, 2022.


Yes, I’ve got a meeting, today: with my case worker from the Job Centre.

One that she’s told me is going to be by phone: but that the record has show has to be at the Basildon office, as there’s a general move to start getting claimants back to the office for these things*.

Like I say: my case worker has assured me — several times — that it will by phone: indeed, she said that when we arranged it, last week, and has repeated that every time I’ve messaged her about it.

Given I worry?   And am very aware the Department of Work and Pensions can suspend your benefit payments, if you don’t attend meeting or do a regular job hunt?

I’ve kept a record of these messages.

Should push come to shove, I want to make sure I’ve got a record of these exchanges: just to make sure.

~≈☎︎≈~

Oh, did I mention my nephew, Jude, was over, last night … ?

And yes: he managed to make another video … 


Feel free to hit the like button!

~≈🕹≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga†, Mum‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.



Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        25th January is Burns Night: marking the birth of port, Robert Burns.   In which year of the 1750s?

Q2)        A meal is traditionally held on Burns Night.   It’s a Burns Night what: Dinner, Supper or Breakfast?

Q3)        A Burns night meal usually starts with a what course: soup course, fish course or sweet?

Q4)        The main meat course at the meal, is what: steak, haggis or a pork chop?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Towards the end of the meal, a speaker gives a speech, to Burns’ Immortal what: work, memory or image?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        24th January, 1984, saw the first Macintosh computers go on sale in the US.   Who makes the Mac: Apple, Microsoft or Google?
A1)        Apple.

Q2)        Claudius was named Roman Emperor: on 24th January, 41AD.   By whom: the Praetorian Guard, Augustus Caesar or the Senate?
A2)        The Praetorian Guard.

Q3)        24th January, 1961, saw the break of a B-52 bomber: over Goldsboro, North Carolina.   The break-up saw the deaths of three crewmen and the loss of two what: nuclear bombs, wings or ejector seats?
A3)        Nuclear bombs.

Q4)        Richard de Bury was born on 24th January, 1287.   He rose to become Lord Chancellor of England.   The current post of Lord Chancellor is in charge what: government finances, courts or the police? 
A4)        Courts. (The police report — ultimately — to the Home Secretary.   Government finances are organised by the Chancellor of the Exchequer)

Q5)        Finally … ?   24th January, 1705, saw the birth of Farinelli.   He was an Italian what: singer, painter or sculptor?
A5)        Singer: he was a castrato, a boy who’d been castrated in childhood, in order to preserve his soprano singing voice.   Wikipedia tells me that the only way to reproduce the singing voice in the moderne era, by by training people with hormonal issues, to sing.
Here’s a thought … 
“The best laid schemes o’ mice and men
gang aft a-gley;”
Robert Burns.
And a video …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        The DWP switched from face to face meetings, to phone/video call meetings, in the middle of 2020: at the height of the COVID crisis.   I was mildly relieved: as it meant not walking up Warley Hill to get to Brentwood Job Centre, on the ground floor of Brentwood Town Hall.   Warley Hill’s steep.
        During that period, I was transferred from a case worker based at the Brentwood office, to a series of case workers in the Basildon overspill office.   Not something that bothered me, initially: because I was having phone meetings with the three different case workers I’ve had.
        Basildon is, I should add, an hour and ten minutes bus ride away.   Even given it’s up a steep hill, Brentwood Job Centre’s still nearer.
        However, and given my case worker’s managers are starting to insist we claimants come into the office?   I appreciate they want to reduce fraud, and have visually contact with claimants.   But I’m understandably concerned my worker will insist on face to face meetings in Basildon that I’ll find difficult to get to.

        Cheers, Olga: I think I’m going to need a certain amount of luck.   The DWP can be rather conservative in these things.   About the only thing that worries me?   I’m 5’1”: and I didn’t mention — when the assessor asked about adaptions in my flat — the stepladder I use to get to the top shelves of my cupboards.   Either way, I’ll know in eight weeks time: I can also do what’s called a mandatory reconsideration, if needed.   Here’s hoping!
        Yeah: that makes sense, now you come to mention it.   From what I remember of the rare footage I’ve seen of UK and US skaters, they like skating up and down stair rails, ramps, and street furniture.


        Hello, Mum!

        I’ll try and remember that, Debbi!   Remind me to keep it in mind!
        Oh, the BBC’s News site’s posting some strange And Finally’s to its news site.   Apparently?   The Dorset knob throwing contest’s been cancelled for the third year in a row … 

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1759

Q2) Supper

Q3) A soup course

Q4) Haggis

Q5) Memory
Here the move to more in-person stuff is also alive and well, even though the numbers are not particularly good yet. You're wise to keep records of the calls and messages. It never hurts to be cautious.
Yes, the president of the association told me that they don't need much at all to skate. They like flat surfaces (give them marble and polished floors and they'll love you), stairs they like (hard one that don't wear easy), although they can do without, he told me, an anything they can use to climb or slide on (they were some flat low benches and tables in that square, before, and they loved them). If there are different levels, they also like that. From reading their comments, it seems they go from area to area they like, and there are some spots where you can find them almost any time of the day or night. They don't seem to cause any problems (perhaps wear and tear, but, the street is to use it, I guess), and they are much more careful than people who use the electric scooters that are all the rage, who have caused a fair amount of accidents already. And I guess, environmentally friendly. (They were all very polite at the exhibition, I must say). And they have quite a few girl members as well, something I asked him about.
It's good to see your nephew is getting on with the videos. Well done, Jude.

Freda said...

1 1759
2 Supper
3 Fish Soup
4 Haggis
5 Work.

Debbi said...

The knob throwing contest? Oh, dear ...

As for Robert Burns, he's all right. But I'll skip the haggis. :)

1. 1759
2. Supper
3. soup course
4. haggis
5. memory