Sunday, 4 September 2011

The Daily Teaser — 4-9-2011

Good LORD

I’ve just had the news on in the background, and the BBC’s just run a brief article on Greenham Common.

Turns out that it’s the thirtieth anniversary of the establishment of the Women’s Peace Camp, there.

1981, eh … ?

Which, from what I can recall, was a BIT of a bonkers year.

I don’t know about you, but I was at senior school, listening to a LOT of strange music: lets just say the 1980s didn’t half generate a few good ones … !

Lets get moving on, shall we … ?

BEFORE I start singing …

»»·««

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Debbi and Nina putting their answers: on top of Nina, bless ’er managed a sigh of relief for getting here, and Debbi manage to leave a comment on the Washington Nationals vs New York Mets game* she’d got back from.

Lets see how they — and you — do with todays questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 4th September, 1886, saw the capture of Geronimo by US forces: his Native American name translates as … what … ?

Q2) 4th September, 1964, saw the opening of the Forth Bridge: across which river?

Q3) Name either of the two Scottish cities this bridge connects.

Q4) 4th September, 1241, saw the birth of Alexander 3rd of Scotland: in which year was he named as King of Scotland?

Q5) 4th September, 1985, saw the discovery of which form of carbon … ?

Q6) And finally … 4th September, 1998, saw the founding of Google: name either of the Stanford students who founded it.
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) “It was the 3rd of September” is the opening line of which Whitfield and Barratt song … ?
A1) Papa Was A Rollin’ Stone.

Q2) 3rd September, 1189, saw the coronation of Richard Cœur de Lion as King of England: name any one of the three French duchies he held.
Q2) Normandy, obviously, Aquitaine — through his mother, Eleanor D’Aquitaine — and Gascony.

Q3) 3rd September, 1943, saw Allied troops begin their invasion of which Axis country … ?
A3) Italy.

Q4) 3rd September, 1971, saw which Emirate become independent?
A4) Qatar.

Q5) And finally … 3rd September, 1935, saw Sir Malcolm Campbell break the world land Speed Record for a car, at the Bonneville Salt Flats: in which US state is those salt flats?
A5) Utah.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you after a tune or two.



Oh … And Cliff Thorburn’s flukiest moment …







* Actually, VERY different, Debbi: I don’t think Baseball takes a week to finish, does it … ? But what do I know, I’m a snooker fan … ! (Which, actually has got shorter over the years: the modern World Championship finals are Best Of 35 frames. Back in the 1940s, they were Best Of 145 … Makes Chess look fast … )

2 comments:

  1. Top o't'mornin' y'all! :)

    1) Goyaale, "One Who Yawns"
    2) The Firth of Forth
    3) Edinburgh & Fife
    4) 13 July 1249
    5) Fullerene
    6) Larry Page & Sergey Brin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snooker is interesting. It reminds me of billiards, but it's different. And that guy who was playing was easy on the eyes. :)

    1. One Who Yawns
    2. the Firth of Forth
    3. Edinburgh and Fife
    4. 1249
    5. fullerenes or buckyballs
    6. Larry Page and Sergey Brin

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.