Wednesday, 19 June 2013

The Daily Teaser — 19-6-2013: Take Me Down To The Ball Game … !

Now that’s a thing: it seems tonight’s episode of The Moral Maze — on Radio 4 at 8pm — is all about … pornography … !

Very relevant, actually: a couple of recent child murders have been linked to violent porn, and/or child abuse images.

Which should make the show an interesting listen, actually: usually Michael Buerke and company manage to do a seriously forensic job of analysis.

And given the UK’s had something of a flap about web based porn just recently … ?

Like I say … I might just pencil in recording tonight’s show … 

~≈Ω≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with wishing Sir Paul McCartney a Happy Birthday, she also scored five out of five.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s Teaser, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 19th June, 1846, saw the first recorded game of Baseball played.   In which New Jersey city … ?
Q2) What was the name of the arena it was played in: the Elysium Fields, Wrigley Fields or Chase Field … ?
Q3) Alexander Cartwright — the man credited with formalizing the game — is ALSO credited with founding which Baseball team … ?
Q4) In the first game, who did Cartwright’s team play … ?
Q5) Finally … and famously … how many strikes, before you’re out … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 18th June, 1264, saw the first recorded meeting of which country’s Parliament … ?
A1) Ireland’s.
Q2) 18th June — in 1812 — saw the start of the War Of 1812: between the USA and where … ?
A2) The UK.
Q3) 18th June, 1873, saw Susan B. Anthony fined $100: for attempting to do what … ?
A3) Vote in the US Presidential election.
Q4) 18th June, 1830, saw France invade which North Africa country … ?
A4) Algeria.
Q5) And finally … 18th June, 1178, saw five Canterbury based monks observe the Giordano Bruno crater being formed: where is that crater … ?
A5) The Moon.
I’ll leave you with this quote: from the one baseball player I’ve heard of …
“I didn’t mean to hit the umpire with the dirt, but I did mean to hit that bastard in the stands.”
George Herman Babe Ruth.
AND with the only tune one can justifiably use, given today’s theme … !


Have a good day … !











*        I’ll be honest, Debbi: I’d’ve put up one of his Beatles tunes, except something from his solo catalogue seemed more appropriate …  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for doing a baseball teaser, Paul! :) As you know, I'm a big fan of the game. I thought I'd take a break and do the teaser early. Because we must pause every now and then in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy, right? :)

    1. Hoboken
    2. the Elysian Fields
    3. the New York Knickerbockers
    4. the New York Nine
    5. 3

    BTW, I'm wearing my Johnny Rotten T-shirt today! I really wish I could meet John Lydon. He really does have my respect.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.