Sunday 23 June 2013

The Daily Teaser — 23-6-2013: The Typewriter … 

Right at thew moment … ?

RIGHT at the moment, I’m boiling the kettle: quite a bit, actually.

My gas has gone.   It’s not actually that big a worry, to be honest.

I get paid tomorrow: so I can top my ‘pay as you go’ meter, then.

It’s just bloody annoying that it’s happened, today: and means I have to boil the kettle, repeatedly, to fill the bath.

Anyway … let’s move on … 

~≈Ω≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: along with bagging five out of six, she also let us know she’s having fun on Pinterest, and said ‘Hello’ to Trevor*.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s typing themed questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 23rd June, 1868, saw Christopher L. Sholes patent the world’s first commercially successful typewriter.   What was the name of the keyboard he designed to go with it … ?
Q2) The design is named for the first six letters on which row: top, bottom or middle?
Q3) What letter is on the right hand end of the bottom row of that keyboard … ?
Q4) The original Sholes Typewriter was tested to destruction by James O. Clephane of Washington D. C.   What was his job: printer, stenographer or army sniper … ?
Q5) And finally … what was the name of the company the typewriter design was sold to … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 22nd June, 1906, saw Sweden formally adopt its flag: name either of the colours on that flag … ?
A1) Blue or yellow.
Q2) One year later, 22nd June, 1907, saw the opening of the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway: this is now part of which London Underground Line … ?
A2) The Northern Line.
Q3) 22nd June, 2012, saw a Turkish Air Force plane shot down: over which  Middle Eastern country … ?
A3) Syria.
Q4) 22nd June, 1990, saw the dismantling of Checkpoint Charlie, between East and West Berlin.   It went through which wall … ?
A4) The Berlin Wall.
Q5) More to the point, that wall features in which John Le Carré novel … ?
A5) The Spy Who Came In From The Cold.
Q6) And finally … 22nd June, 1942, saw who promoted to Field Marshal … ?
A6) Erwin Rommel.
I’ll leave you with this thought from writer, P. G. Wodehouse …
“I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit.”
P. G. Wodehouse.
And with the only possible tune I could suggest, given our typewriter theme … 


Have a good day … 










*        I will do, Debbi, soon as I get the chance.   (I swear, I’m going to sign into my Pinterest account, again, at some point: but it’s like my Instagram account.   I’ve got one, somewhere, but they’re not actually used as much as my FB and Twitter accounts … !   I know there’s a whole slew of social networks around: my WORD, there’s a mind-boggling amount of them … !)

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Ah, yes! Well, Pinterest really is helpful for those who can barely type.

Well, I used to type just like that guy in the video. Now, I just peck out my words and swear, now and then. :)

1. QWERTY
2. top
3. M
4. stenographer
5. Remington