Tuesday, 18 June 2013

The Daily Teaser — 18-6-2013

You’ve probably worked out I like history, hadn’t you … ?

Oh, you hadn’t … ?   Pay attention at the back, there … !

At ANY rate, I’m fond of history: even if I’m no expert student of it.

One thing that does catch my attention is scientific history: childhood interest, what can I tell you?

So when the BBC does a documentary about the history of measurement — I’ve got episode two of Precision on, in the background — you can bet I’d be recording it, to watch later.

Fascinating stuff: did you know there’s a direct mathematical relationship between the amount of the amount of electricity going through a wire, and the amount of weight place on the tray hooked up to those wires … ?   The more the current the heavier the object.

Ever wondered how the weighing machines at your local supermarket work?   The ones at the till … ?   The ones they’ve just weighed your cabbages with … ?   Now you know … 

~≈Ω≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: along with getting four and a half out of five*, she also let us know she has a cartoons/animation board on Pinterest†.   It also saw Trevor putting up some of the speculation he’d encountered — during a long career programming — as to what IBM ACTUALLY stood for.

Let’s see how she — or possibly they — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 18th June, 1264, saw the first recorded meeting of which country’s Parliament … ?   

Q2) 18th June — in 1812 — saw the start of the War Of 1812: between the USA and where … ?   

Q3) 18th June, 1873, saw Susan B. Anthony fined $100: for attempting to do what … ?   

Q4) 18th June, 1830, saw France invade which North Africa country … ?   

Q5) And finally … 18th June, 1178, saw five Canterbury based monks observe the Giordano Bruno crater being formed: where is that crater … ?   
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 17th June, 1900, saw Allied and Japanese forces capture the Taku Forts: in the Chinese city of Tianjin.   During which Rebellion … ?
A1) The Boxer Rebellion.
Q2) Talking of which … 17th June, 1953: during an uprising, Soviet troops were  called into which East German city … ?
A2) East Berlin.
Q3) 17th June, 1967, saw which Far Eastern country announce it had successfully tested a thermonuclear weapon … ?
A3) The People’s Republic of China.
Q4) 17th June, 1980, saw the UK Government announce that US missiles would sited at two RAF bases in the UK.   Which RAF bases … ?
A4) RAF Greenham Common and RAF Molesworth.
Q5) And FINALLY … 17th June, 1944, saw which country declare independence … ?
A5) Iceland.
I’ll leave you with this point from Isabella Rossellini …
“I am much more radical in my beliefs than my products represent me to be.”
Isabella Rossellini, born 18 June 1952.
And with this tune from birthday boy, Paul McCartney … 


Enjoy your day … 














*        Actually, Debbi, it was RAF Greenham Common … 

†        I’ll have to check that out, at some point, Debbi!   Pinky And The Brain was one of the funniest things I saw on TV … !   (Apparently, Pinky’s supposed to be a cockney.   I’ll be tactful, Debbi, his accent’s not convincing … )

1 comment:

  1. Cool, Paul! :) Hope you do check it out. And thanks for posting the Paul McCartney video. Happy birthday, Sir Paul!

    1. Ireland
    2. the British Empire
    3. vote for a U.S. President
    4. Algeria
    5. the Moon

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.