Tuesday 25 April 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 25-4-2017: ANZAC Day

BLAST!

I’m up late!

I — yes, you guessed it — forgot to turn my alarm on … !

BLAST … !

But at least it’s not triple blast.

I have this bad habit of recording Dr Who: then transferring them to my Mac, and using a mix of HandBrake and MPEG Streamclip, to edit out bits I don’t need … 

And to turn it into stuff I can use on my Apple TV.

That’s gone through, successfully!

Who needs Blu-ray?

~≈É≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Australia and New Zealand mark ANZAC Day on 25th April.   It originally marked the deaths of Australian and New Zealander troop: during the Battle of where?
Q2) More to the point, that battle was fought during which War?
Q3) Against whom?
Q4) Many Australians will be observing Dawn Services on ANZAC Day.   The first of these was at the Sydney Cenotaph.   In which year?
Q5) Finally … Many will also observe those services in New Zealand.   Where it’s traditional to where a what, as a mark of respect?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 24th April, 1990, saw the Space Shuttle Discovery launch what?
A1) The Hubble space telescope.
Q2) The Franck-Hertz Experiment was presented to the German Physical Society: on 24th April, 1914.   The Experiment is fundamental to which branch of physics: Astrophysics, quantum mechanics or Thermodynamics?
Q3) During World War Two, 24th April, 1944, saw a raid on the Greek island of Santorini.   By whom: the SAS, SBS or OED?
A3) The Special Boat Squad, or SBS.   (The SBS is the naval equivalent of the Special Air Service, or SAS.   The OED, or Oxford English Dictionary, have an especially hardcore Special Forces: and an even nastier proofreader squad …)
Q4) 24th April, 1889, saw the birth of Sir Richard Stafford Cripps.   What was the highest government post he held?
A4) Chancellor of the Exchequer.   (The Chancellor is the UK’s finance minister.)
Q5) Finally … The West German embassy was blown up: on 24th April, 1975.   By whom: the Provisional IRA, ETA or the Red Army Faction?
A5) The Red Army Faction: or Baader Meinhof Gang.
Lest we forget?

I’ll leave you with just the last post … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day … 




*        I know what you mean about tired, Olga: I think that’s what got me forgetting to switch my alarm on, sometimes!

†        Sound’s like we’d’ve got on, Debbi!   :D   At ANY rate … Ever hear about a kid’s show called Blue Peter?   It’s been going for years … and has a history with runaway elephants.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Gallipoli
Q2) World War I
Q3) The Ottoman Empire
Q4) 1927
Q5) Wear (auto-correct?)? A paper poppy
I hope the rest of the day went better. I also had some complications today... Oh, well, we'll keep going. Take care.

Debbi said...

That's a new one for me. Another BBC show that didn't make it across the pond. :)

Thank God for The Avengers and Doctor Who! And Red Dwarf! :) And more. Prime Suspect! Loved it! :)

1. Gallipoli
2. World War I
3. the Ottoman Empire
4. 1927
5. red poppy