Sunday, 30 April 2017

Dr Who — Series 10: Episode 3 — Thin Ice


30th April, 2017.

Where do I start, tonight … ?

Where … ?

You’ve worked out I’m a fan of Dr Who.

At least you have, if you’ve been following me for a while.

You’ll possibly have guessed I’ve been watching, and enjoying, the rebooted version of the series ever since it started, back in the day.

Following the twists and turns of a series for a decade or so.

Of course, working Saturday nights has its downsides.

It means I get to watch my favourite show …

On Sunday nights.

Frankly?

I’ve seen possibly Peter Capaldi’s best episode.

~≈∑≈~

Thin Ice sees the Doctor and Bill arriving in Regency London, in 1814: during the last of London’s Frost Fairs.

It’s only whilst nosing around, and enjoying the various attractions that the perceptive Bill notices that lights, swirling under the sheets of ice …

Whilst the Doctor manages to get the Sonic Screwdriver stolen.

Only to get it back …

When the pick-pocket — a street kid called Spider — is dragged under the icy crust of the frozen Thames.

It’s only then … that the Dr and Bill realise they’re going to have to do some … digging

~≈∑≈~

Now …

Best episode … ?

I really — on reflection — couldn’t tell you if Thin Ice is or isn’t his best.

But?

Frankly, it sees the relationship deepening between the Doctor and Bill: with level of both conflict — Bill’s shock to the Dr’s apparently callous reaction to Spider’s death, and her insistence he tell her how many people he’s seen die — and levels of realisation showing us moments of pure joy!



Bill’s reaction to that latter?

Personally, I think much of the good tv acting I’ve seen in my life is partly about the writing, patly about the direction, partly about the technicalities of the thing …

And party about the cast.

Tonight’s episode … ?

Truly showed us how good the two leads are.

Capaldi’s best episode?

I don’t know.

But I’d say yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.